Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Technique
User Name
Password

Rapid One Note
Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 AM
NiceKid Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default Rapid One Note

Recently, I listen to Hiromi Uehara's "Return of Kung-Fu World Champion". At 0:56 - 01:10, she play rapid-one-note. How to do that? Any good practice to do that?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 AM
St0rMl0rD Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to St0rMl0rD

Check out Jordan's Keyboard Madness, in the chapter Performance Programming he explains how he does the same trick on the song "The Test That Stumped Them All". Swiping is the key :)

Cheers,
-J

Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 AM
HammondToby Offline
Keyboard Initiate

With a classical technique you play fast notes on one key with constantly changing fingers, coause you can change fingers faster, than triggert it with one finger. So, there are two ways to do this:

1. the 'organ method', 'cause this is the way, it works on most Hammondorgans: play a trill on one note with your thumb and you middle finger.

2. the 'piano method', this is the way, I learned it on th piano: play the note with the fingering 4-3-2 (ring finger, middle finger, forefinger).

Common to both techniques: start slowly and then speed up, 'cause it might take a while to get to a impressing speed ;)

Best regards
HammondToby

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Grey Loki Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammondToby
2. the 'piano method', this is the way, I learned it on th piano: play the note with the fingering 4-3-2 (ring finger, middle finger, forefinger).
I've always played it 4-3-2-1, because I can hold my thumb underneath my other fingers, which I found makes it easier to get my ring finger back above the key for the next 'run'.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Maximus Offline
Keyboard Wizard

1-2, 1-2-3 can also work, while you're at it practice it with both hands

Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 AM
eviani Offline
Keyboard Initiate

1-2, 1-2-3 is very awkward and I can guarantee, at least in a classical setting, that most repeated note passages start on 4 or 3 and work their way down the hand, it's much easier to play as you get your fingers out of the way much quicker. Don't practice 4-3-2-1 TOO slowly though because what most people have a problem with is the speed of changing the fingers...so practice in rhythms and working on loosening your fingers because doing too much slow practice on a technique like this won't build the speed necessarily since what the technique boils down to is a few motions:

1) arm drop
2) the quick swipe (which should almost feel like you're pulling your hand away, kind of like opening a drawer, that kind of motion)
3) lifting arm/dropping it, and swiping again...

Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
bobbykunkle Offline
Keyboard Initiate

I remember seeing jordan doing this on one of the receptor demo videos on his multimedia sections of his website, its like a minor arpeggio that goes up really fast....pretty rediculous. I talked through it with my piano teacher, and he can pull it off pretty well, but its still pretty hard for me to do. Jordan, if you read this, could you give some insight on how you built the technique up so well to play so fast (like i understand fingering, but not how to get it so fast). Thanks...

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE VIDEO

Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 PM
quartaumentata Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

I agree.

As I started to read this thread I immediately thought about answering and telling people to have a look at the abovementioned video (by the way I love that piece... deeply studied it...), but bobby has been faster

For the OC members, there's etude n. 8 which involves this kind of technique.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Maximus Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviani
1-2, 1-2-3 is very awkward and I can guarantee, at least in a classical setting, that most repeated note passages start on 4 or 3 and work their way down the hand, it's much easier to play as you get your fingers out of the way much quicker.
There are many roads that lead to rome, and while starting on finger 1 always would be ideal, is also imposible, but still i woudnt dissmis 1-2, 1-2-3, i dont claim to be a guru on technic (personally i think my playing and technic suck, but thats whats motivate me) but i am classicly trained and he's adapting a piece to his playing style and skill level so i think he should try what works for him

Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Staccato

If would personally play 3-2-1, 3-2-1 and so on.. you might start on your fourth finger if you like it. I would not recomend startin with your thumb, as the easiest movement for the right hand is downwards. Just like playing scales, it is much easier playing descending scales fast the the other way around.