Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Tutorials
User Name
Password

Recording Process
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
EloHiR ElEnDIl Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via MSN to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via Yahoo to EloHiR ElEnDIl
Default Recording Process

I looked at google, cut couldn't find aything useful.
I want to know what's the common recording process, you know, what's a basic track? which instruments are recording first, and all of that things.
Any input would be really aprecciate.

LuThiEn NenMaciL & ELohir ElenDIl

Member of the 'I agree with Omega Monkey' club.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Staccato

I would record drums, then base, the keyboard, then guitar and the singers last. But that might just be me.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
EloHiR ElEnDIl Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via MSN to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via Yahoo to EloHiR ElEnDIl

and what happens, If the drums start at the chorus or at the middle of the song or something like that?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Staccato

Depends on whether you play to click or not. Cause then I would still record the same way I said before. I have never recorded without.. you can either program the click or you can record the first part of the drums.. then the second part and then fix the transition in cubase or some other sequencer.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
jeebustrain Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Location: fresh off the mothership, straight from chocolate city

I'm a drummer, so lots of times the drums come first, but if I don't do it like that, even if there aren't any drums in it, I'll usually set up some sort of junk rhythm track just to help me locate changes and keep the overall feel of the song. I like to do agogo bell 4-counts before each section change. If you're doing it on a PC (or in a keyboard sequencer), just stripe a drum track over the whole song. You can always take it out later and redo it however you want.
MyCrap # Korg Kronos 88 (fully expanded) | Kurz PC361 (w/ KORE64) | Roland V-Synth | Alesis Fusion8HD | Korg Prophecy | Yamaha CP-30 | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49

Old 12-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Inno Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Yea, if there is a standard way, it's definitely the drums then bass etc etc route.

One way that i've tried a couple of times is if you don't like working with a ridiculously complicated click track, I record a mock "template" of the final piece on cubase where I play all the parts in, then, I record my live instruments with the instrumentalists playing along with the mock. Works quite well.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
EloHiR ElEnDIl Offline
Keyboard Master

what is to play with click? with a metronome?

I tried to record the drums first and for me is better, because I get the feeling of how the things are going. but for a drummer he'd like all the other instruments better so he can get the feel with all that. hahaha

Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Inno Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloHiR ElEnDIl
what is to play with click? with a metronome?
Yep, that's basically what it is. Some click tracks can get really complicated because they take into account all the tempo/time sig changes. I hate to imagine what a DT click track sounds like... poor Jordan!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Spacehog Offline
Keyboard Master

As a multi-instrumentalist, I tend to find it easier to lay down some other parts to the click track (typically bass and a scratch (meaning it'll be replaced later) simple keyboard track before recording drum takes. It helps me know whereabouts in the song I am for doing fills etc.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 AM
EloHiR ElEnDIl Offline
Keyboard Master

yeah, I tend to record all the instruments (bass, guitar, keyboard's drums, keys) so, for me it depends on the type of song because if it is lke a nice ballad I prefer to add the keys first where they are like the base of the whole song, but If it is like a heavy song I prefer drums.