Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

First keyboard
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
n00bShredder Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default First keyboard

Ok, so it's n00bShredder from the John Petrucci forums. I didn't get too much feedback from the guys over there, and Andelusion refered me here.

So here's my post with a few changes from the JP boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bshredder
So, lately my guitar playing hasn't been progressing very fast. I'm hopeing learning another instrument will help me all around musically and not just with my guitar. I'm not only wanting to learn how to play it just to progress my guitar so it's not like I'm going to practice only for that.

Does anyone think my idea of learning to play keyboard would be worth while?

If it is and there are any keyboardist's on this forum could you tell me a good cheap keyboard with like a bunch of effects for DT keyboard lead sounds?

Here's my list of things I want.

-I want it to have MIDI jacks so I can record to my computer and use my Fruity loops tones.
-I want it to have the FX I meantioned before and more stuff to play around with, I don't care for the stupid preset tones though like the movie type sounds for screams, footsteps, and planes and stuff.
-I don't know if this is good or not but I've seen some keyboards with a like teaching mode that tells you the notes of the keys for newbies to the instrument. *I can deal if it doesn't have one*
-I want it to have built in speakers for portability. *Moniters are a bit expensive for me*
-I want the quality to be good but I don't want it to be like super quality cause that would raise the price above my range. Which is around $100-$200
-I'm sure they all have them but I'd like speaker outs if I had something to play throught and not use the built in stuff if I ever do play through moniters at a friends or something.

I know this limits me to like Yamaha or Casio. But, I'm sure someone knows of something. This sounds weird but quality is not a huge issue with me. I'd love it to sound great but this would be my first. I wouldn't want it to sound like crap of course. But, I kind of want more bells and whistles for versatility of sounds over prime quality of sound at the moment.
Help would be appreciated.

PS: I've never played this instrument before and have very little background other then a few times at my friends house. So, I have no clue about anything. That's why I want something cheap so if I happen to play it for awhile and absolutly have no talent for it, I won't have a big hole knocked out of my income.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 AM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to -=AnatomiC=-

With 200$ you can't buy a decent keyboard.
Try Midi-controllers

- Vegetta, what does the scouter say about his synthesizer?
- It's jay-pi eight thousaaaaaaaaaaaand!!!
- What!? EIGHT THOUSEND!?!?!?

If you hear the 50 Hz speaker buzz, and start to admire how analog, fat and warm it sounds, it's about time you find yourself a girl and get laid...

わたしは がくしです

Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
n00bShredder Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

A midi controller would be nice. But, its not like I can practice in my computer room as it is filled with alot of stuff, would be very cramped, and my computer speakers suck. I can't take it anywhere also...

Besides I'm not looking for a keyboard that will last me forever. I'm looking for one to get me started, and if I can't play or just don't like the instrument. I won't have a useless 500 dollar keyboard. That's why I don't mind getting a lower quality one that has more variety.

But, if no one knows anything can you guys suggest me a good begginers keyboard with what you think matters?

Old 06-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Omega Monkey Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Omega Monkey

See my sig.

Dont worry about my normal pricing structure though. For you and your small budget I will make an exception. So send me $25US and I'll get you hooked up with the information you need. Basically you will get the best synth possible for the money you are willing to spend. And $25 is a mere pittance to assure that whatever you get meets and indeed exceeds your expectations.

Hell, how many other members here (besides Jordan, and Bert I suppose) have their own fan club? ;)

Also, I play guitar too, so I can relate to your perspective.

For more info, go here:

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6597

Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Lol, this will be interesting. I want to see his reply.

Btw, you could try the Yamaha PSR keyboards. I believe Radioshack sells them.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Taurus Offline
Keyboard Master

Yamaha PSR above 700 number is really great. And it has everything for a newbie. The sounds will last long and are of great quality.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
jeebustrain Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Location: fresh off the mothership, straight from chocolate city

yeah, for that kind of budget, and for the fact that you want onboard speakers, a Yammy PSR is your best bet. Either that or perhaps a Casio.
MyCrap # Korg Kronos 88 (fully expanded) | Kurz PC361 (w/ KORE64) | Roland V-Synth | Alesis Fusion8HD | Korg Prophecy | Yamaha CP-30 | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49

Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Michael Troy Offline
Keyboard Master

ebay has a shitload of PSR Yamaha electronic keyboards...

there really isnt much we can advise you on...you are not going to get much for 200 bucks w/speakers. Just go buy something.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Omega Monkey Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Omega Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Troy
you are not going to get much for 200 bucks
Thats not true at all. You just have to know where to look and what to look for.

For more info, go here:

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6597

Old 06-21-2006, 05:06 PM
jeebustrain Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Location: fresh off the mothership, straight from chocolate city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Monkey
Thats not true at all. You just have to know where to look and what to look for.

not if you want integrated speakers
MyCrap # Korg Kronos 88 (fully expanded) | Kurz PC361 (w/ KORE64) | Roland V-Synth | Alesis Fusion8HD | Korg Prophecy | Yamaha CP-30 | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49