Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

Prevent sustain pedal sliding
Old 04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
CraigFoo Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Question Prevent sustain pedal sliding

Ok. What is everyone doing to stop the incessant pedal sliding that occurs while playing live
I've done the velcro on the bottom but that only works on carpeting and is a temp solution. Anything more permenant?
I saw an ad in the classified, of Keyboard mag, for some kind of accesory that went under the pedal; does it work? Does anyone know the manufacturer?
Thanks for any and all input
Craig

Old 04-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Piranha Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to Piranha

I thought people used duct tape or something lol

I'm probably wrong.

-Alf

Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Michael Troy Offline
Keyboard Master

Smile

Here's what I do:

I carefully cut a 2x4 inch peice of plastic out of an empty water gallon jug.
Unscrew two screws of the bottom of my sustain pedal and attach the plastic with the screws as a sort of tab that sticks out from the side of the pedal on the bottom. Since I use Standtastic stands that have leg posts, the plastic tab gets put under the bottom of the leg and with the weight of the keyboards, keeps the pedal right there in that spot.

It works like a charm in any playing setting and I wish I would have thought of it YEARS ago. Its SOOO simple yet works great, doesnt look horrible and wont cost you any money to do. It does require a keyboard stand with legs though.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
EloHiR ElEnDIl Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via MSN to EloHiR ElEnDIl Send a message via Yahoo to EloHiR ElEnDIl

Well I used to use the roland dp-6 it didn't slide me at all 'cause it has a rubber thing (like a tongue) underneath and when you playing you drawn it out and there is where you place your foot and I can tell no sliding!! I use the Kurzweil pedal that came with pc1-x and sucks! I have to move my feet to reach the pedal to the position I want at any time...!

LuThiEn NenMaciL & ELohir ElenDIl

Member of the 'I agree with Omega Monkey' club.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Grey Loki Offline
Keyboard Wizard

I've always tried to wedge it up against something - a stand leg, or something. Apart from that, gaffer tape is your friend :P

Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Everlasting_Rain Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Everlasting_Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EloHiR ElEnDIl
Well I used to use the roland dp-6 it didn't slide me at all 'cause it has a rubber thing (like a tongue) underneath and when you playing you drawn it out and there is where you place your foot and I can tell no sliding!! I use the Kurzweil pedal that came with pc1-x and sucks! I have to move my feet to reach the pedal to the position I want at any time...!
I've used that one in the past, but always ended up quitting that rubber thing... sometimes it was hard to make it stay straight. Also it stopped working properly, sometimes it holds the sound on when released, kind of annoying, but I don't know if it has had a short life or maybe it wasn't treated right.

Right now I use this one from Korg:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/4347

Its surface on the back of the pedal prevents it from sliding. It just stays still. I also like its action and materials better, closer to the real thing, and the cable is longer than the Roland's. A bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
losmusicanos Offline
Keyboard Initiate

I've been using a Roland DP-6 intensively for 14 years. It still works as if it was new (it just squeaks LOL).

Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
spanky's axeman Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to spanky's axeman

I took the guts out of the pedal and glued them to the bottom of my "gig" shoes.

jus kidding. I got a dp6 with the rubber tounge on it.

Axeman

Old 05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Elderane Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Elderane

I bought one of those plastic carpets that usually go in the bathroom preventing u to slide and break your head :P... so i cutted a small piece and put the pedals on it. It worked for me, but i've only used it in my room, with normal uncarpeted floor, i dunno if it works everywhere.. anyway, that's a cheap solution!! :D

Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 AM
mdsonic Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

I have a piece of black carpet (kind of like indoor/outdoor) that I place under my keyboard stand which extends about 6" in front. I apply the plastic hook side of velcro tape to the bottom of each pedal and volume control (5 pedals and 1 volume used in my rig) and they stay put. The weight of the keyboard stand holds the carpet and the velcro sticks to the carpet but is easily pulled off when I'm done. I've gone one step further by marking the carpet with small marks where everything goes so my pedal setup is always the same from gig to gig....Works great.

At home my studio is carpeted so the pedals stay put there as well.....