Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Awake's Avatar
Awake Offline
Keyboard Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The middle of the Midwest
Posts: 681
Send a message via MSN to Awake
Default

Amazing player, amazing technique, but I'm sorry, no self-respecting middle aged man should wear a mullet in any circumstances. Or any person, of any age for that matter. :p
__________________
>Blog ::
>Ninoville ::
Reply With Quote
 

  #12  
Old 09-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Liquid Shadow Offline
Keyboard Wizard
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,513
Send a message via AIM to Liquid Shadow Send a message via MSN to Liquid Shadow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogkid
Im always amazed at how some people can be so criticle about something that is so subjective like musicanship. Not a simple" his playing was a little off or not his best work " but actually take the time to pick someone apart. Everyone has their favorite artist and usally defends them but some of those comments where a F-ing joke.

Totally. The thing is, almost anybody who sits on a computer all day and tears apart performances like that probably has very little to show for themselves musically. I would definitely be surprised to hear anything interesting from a few particular posters on that site.


Also, consider how much differently those guys would behave in real life. If Rick Wakeman were standing there in their living room and played that, I guarantee that every single person who bashed that solo would immediately run to the beloved internet and sing his praises for the rest of their lives. The thing is, they feel really tough behind a computer, and think that they're musical geniuses who can adequately critique a solo that was meant to be flashy when it's one of the most accomplished and respected prog rock keyboardists playing it in front of thousands of people.


Random guy behind a computer vs. Rick Wakeman. Tune in next week to find out who will be the victor!
Reply With Quote
 

  #13  
Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 PM
ChrisMcCoy's Avatar
ChrisMcCoy Offline
Keyboard Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: not far from Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebustrain
I guess everyone can have an off night... It was during a tour, you know...

I imagine if you were in the audience, with the atmospherere you probably wouldn't even notice.
That's a very good point. I'd add to that, I once read an interview that Rick had mentioned he liked to drive on his own in a rented van rather than travelling with the band in chauferred transportation such as tour bus, private jet, etc. Imagine driving all day to a gig and then having to play the material he plays. It must be exhausting.
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein


www.myspace.com/chrismccoymusicbiz

www.chrismccoymusic.biz
Reply With Quote
 

  #14  
Old 09-17-2005, 12:45 PM
lighthouse's Avatar
lighthouse Offline
Keyboard Wizard
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,222
Send a message via MSN to lighthouse
Default

yeah....and I cant believe they judge him even for one little video that popoed up on the net...I mean, were talking about the man who wrote Journey to the Centre of the Earth!!!, with all the scoring for the orchestra and choir! and have done over 50 recordings!, hes not just a shreder like a lot of guys out there, hes and incredible artists and even a nice person too!


Juan Pablo
__________________
I wasted my Time until TIme wasted me
(Jon Oliva)

www.timesforgottencr.com/

www.myspace.com/timesforgottenband
Reply With Quote
 

  #15  
Old 10-13-2005, 03:31 PM
SHP Offline
Keyboard Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 47
Send a message via ICQ to SHP
Default

this solo has been bugging me since i first saw it months ago, i'd like to give it a shot, if i can play it, or not. the problem is that the sound is pretty crappy, and i'm not sure about the notes. i think the main part goes something like
part1
D D D D
F D D D
G D D D
A D E D
part2
F D E F
E D E D
E C E G
C
repeat part1
F D E F
E D E F
G E C G
can you help me out either with the notes, or the name of the solo (to acquire a better sounding version), or even a full transcription (maybe with the piano parts)?
btw for the D D D D part what fingering would you use? it seems like a terribly fast 2121, but i can feel that my fingers get exhausted in no time, and i'm only at 80% speed yet. maybe should i use a 3-finger version, or should i just keep trying?
Reply With Quote
 

  #16  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Grey Loki's Avatar
Grey Loki Offline
Keyboard Wizard
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC, right next to Snow.
Posts: 2,010
Default

Well from watching the video extensively, Wakeman himself plays it with a VERY fast 2121 etc. However, I see no reason why with a little bit of acrobatics you couldn't play a 3212, or even 4321.

Edit: Nice transcription, by the way.
__________________
There are many forms of bliss more satisfying than ignorance.
Reply With Quote
 

  #17  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Analogkid's Avatar
Analogkid Offline
Keyboard Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHP
this solo has been bugging me since i first saw it months ago, i'd like to give it a shot, if i can play it, or not. the problem is that the sound is pretty crappy, and i'm not sure about the notes. i think the main part goes something like
part1
D D D D
F D D D
G D D D
A D E D
part2
F D E F
E D E D
E C E G
C
repeat part1
F D E F
E D E F
G E C G
can you help me out either with the notes, or the name of the solo (to acquire a better sounding version), or even a full transcription (maybe with the piano parts)?
btw for the D D D D part what fingering would you use? it seems like a terribly fast 2121, but i can feel that my fingers get exhausted in no time, and i'm only at 80% speed yet. maybe should i use a 3-finger version, or should i just keep trying?
SHP,

You can get the the CD of that exact show its called "An Evening of Yes Music Plus!" His solo is a combo of Madrigal (live the studio is different) but its wrongly labeled Gone but not forgotten, Catherine Parr and Merlin the Magician.

I was lucky enough to see it live in 88 or 89 in Pittsburgh PA- Rick played it slightly different. the clip shown is from King Biscut TV and is avaliable on video. The sound is a factory preset on the D50 called calliope I think. Hope that helps.

Your local source of Yes info

Analog
Reply With Quote
 

  #18  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Omega Monkey Offline
Keyboard Wizard
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 1,920
Send a message via AIM to Omega Monkey
Default

Well, it's a live piece, Im not sure if all of it is from actual albums. But the whole thing is on the "Evening Of Yes Music +" from the ABWH tour. The ragtime part (which is just plain sick) is from a song called Merlin The Magician from his King Arthur album.
__________________
Let me find you your perfect synth.

For more info, go here:

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6597
Reply With Quote
 

  #19  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
TheMagician's Avatar
TheMagician Offline
Keyboard Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 163
Send a message via MSN to TheMagician
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow
Totally. The thing is, almost anybody who sits on a computer all day and tears apart performances like that probably has very little to show for themselves musically. I would definitely be surprised to hear anything interesting from a few particular posters on that site.


Also, consider how much differently those guys would behave in real life. If Rick Wakeman were standing there in their living room and played that, I guarantee that every single person who bashed that solo would immediately run to the beloved internet and sing his praises for the rest of their lives. The thing is, they feel really tough behind a computer, and think that they're musical geniuses who can adequately critique a solo that was meant to be flashy when it's one of the most accomplished and respected prog rock keyboardists playing it in front of thousands of people.


Random guy behind a computer vs. Rick Wakeman. Tune in next week to find out who will be the victor!
I agree entirely. To take this in a slightly different direction, I personally think recording technology was the beginning of the decline in musicality and home computers with studio capabilities and ability to overanalyse songs are the next few nails in the coffin.

While I'm only relatively young, I can't help but long for the days when you only ever heard a song once live and if you wanted to hear it again you'd go to another show because owning a recording wasn't possible. Performance matters. The performer having fun and giving a real show matters. I've been to gigs where the band was awesome in a studio but either dead boring or crap live. I've also been to gigs where I really didn't like the band in question but they were having so much fun and playing well enough that I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd rather that bands made their names live than in the studio because recordings are so empty compared to live shows.

I love hearing a new song for the first time - I find myself buying new CDs all the time because I want to hear new music, new sounds, to experience that thrill of hearing an amazing song for the first time. I don't want to hyper-analyse music but its hard to avoid it when so many other people do. I don't care if a song is in a major key with major chords and simple arpeggios - if it sounds good it sounds good! As pointed out by several people, hearing a virtuoso going nuts in person is just incredible and so much better when you don't even think of going back to hyperanalyse the performance.

Anyway - I'll end my unrealistic/idealistic rant now :)

Cheers
Ian
__________________
"Living on cloud eight, waiting for my nine"
--- Frameshift, 2004
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Analogkid's Avatar
Analogkid Offline
Keyboard Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician
I agree entirely. To take this in a slightly different direction, I personally think recording technology was the beginning of the decline in musicality and home computers with studio capabilities and ability to overanalyse songs are the next few nails in the coffin.

While I'm only relatively young, I can't help but long for the days when you only ever heard a song once live and if you wanted to hear it again you'd go to another show because owning a recording wasn't possible. Performance matters. The performer having fun and giving a real show matters. I've been to gigs where the band was awesome in a studio but either dead boring or crap live. I've also been to gigs where I really didn't like the band in question but they were having so much fun and playing well enough that I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'd rather that bands made their names live than in the studio because recordings are so empty compared to live shows.

I love hearing a new song for the first time - I find myself buying new CDs all the time because I want to hear new music, new sounds, to experience that thrill of hearing an amazing song for the first time. I don't want to hyper-analyse music but its hard to avoid it when so many other people do. I don't care if a song is in a major key with major chords and simple arpeggios - if it sounds good it sounds good! As pointed out by several people, hearing a virtuoso going nuts in person is just incredible and so much better when you don't even think of going back to hyperanalyse the performance.

Anyway - I'll end my unrealistic/idealistic rant now :)

Cheers
Ian
Well put Ian, we are a culture that loves to over analyze everything. When you see something live we tend not to be as critcal since we are caught up in the moment. I guess depending on who we are watching we tend to be a bit star struck.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
top of page