Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

Need some help with a lead.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:04 PM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Default Need some help with a lead.

Hey guys, 'tis I. If you haven't heard the new solo album of Pinnella, then you won't have much of an example to help me out, but if you can figure it out, I'd much appreciate it.

Back to topic:

I am trying to simulate the little filter thing Pinnella has on his lead (there is a very good example of it in The White Room, minute 2:03) I can get the actual sound, but I can seem to get the filter thing he uses, where it warms out the sound instantly after about a second or half a sec. I can get it where it gradually warms it down, but I can't get it to instantly warm it down after a certain ammount of time (in this case, a second).

If you still don't understand:

The lead is a saw, obviously with a high filter, some vibrato. But if you listen about 10-20 seconds after 2:03 on the White Room, you can tell that when he keeps the note pressed, it instantly warms out to a smoother lead after about one second the note is pressed. I need to know how to simulate that, if anyone knows, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :D

P.S. I put this thread in here and not in Patch Exchange because I'm not really exchanging anything.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:26 PM
keys76 Offline
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to keys76

hi there,

can you tell us which board you use?

take care,
Jeroen

Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Drusillus Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via ICQ to Drusillus Send a message via MSN to Drusillus Send a message via Yahoo to Drusillus

You will need to sculpt a TVF Envelope for your filter, to slowly close the filter after a period of time. Try:

Attack Time - very short, in fact you probably want it to be zero
Decay Time - maybe 50%, this dictates how fast the filter will close
Sustain Level - try about 50%, this is the level the filter will fall to and stay at when you hold the note down
Release Time - very short

If you have a Delay feature on the TVF Envelope, try playing with that too, that will delay the closing of the filter.

Roland Fantom-G6 ~ Roland Fantom-S ~ Roland SH-201 ~ Roland JP-8000 ~ Roland D-5 ~ Roland D-50 ~ Yamaha CS5

Old 03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

keys: I don't have a synthetizer, but I use the program called SynthEdit and the VST called Synth1. I then connect my Kawai Es-1 via MIDI. I tweak everything on the virtual synth: Synth1, then play everything on the Kawai.

Drusillus: Thanks!! I'll try that definitely!

Old 03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Drusillus:

I set the attack, decay, sustain and release to what you said, but it wouldn't filter out to anything, just made it sound percussive when I hit a note, and the filter stays the same. The delay doesn't do anything, it's just like an echo/reverb. There's not much reverb on the lead.

Here's what I have on Synth1.

asterisk (*) next to a word means it is a tweakable knob. Pound (#) next to a word means it's a switch.

Amplitude
*Attack (A) *Decay (D) *Sustain (S) *Release (R) *Gain *Velocity (Vel)

Filter
*Attack (A) *Decay (D) *Sustain (S) *Release (R) *Amt
*Frq *Res *Sat *Trk #Vel

Tempo Delay (this is the only delay)
On/Off switch, *Time *FdBk *Levl

There's more, but I think that's what matters. Perhaps with that cheap little map I made :lol: you could tell me what to modify. Thanks in advance. :D

Old 03-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Bert Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Sounds to me like you may have accidentally set the Amplitude Envelope as described, not an envelope that controls the filter. I could be wrong, but that would explain why the sound is percussive and the filter doesn't respond. My thoughts!

-- Bert

Old 03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Yep, I changed that, but it still doesn't "filter out". Any other suggestions you can give me using the little map I did?

Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Tusker Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Three place you want to check:

1 If the filter cutoff is completely open the filter envelope won't close it. It only adds to it. Try lowering the cutoff and see if the envelope starts to have an effect.

2 There is usually a value that dictates the amount by which the envelope affects the cutoff. This may the item labelled amt. We typically assume that to be positive, but it may or may not.... depending on the synth. Try fiddling with this to understand it's range.

3 I'm assuming this is a low pass filter. You might check to make sure this is so.

Best,

Jerry

Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
gusjdt Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Hmm, I still can't get it to filter. I increased the amt and then decreased it while tweaking other parameters, but no filtering. I don't see anything labeled filter cut-off, btw.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Luca_Capozzi Offline
Keyboard Wizard

filter section: first knob at top-left ;)

see ya