Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2005, 12:23 AM
nismael Offline
Keyboard Master

Try this program : www.type-cast.com/nismael/test.exe . You should see some numbers in the "MIDI events received" section. You should also hear something when playing on your keyboard and see the notes change color.

Also check the MIDI devices (Menu preferences). You should have some stuff there.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Liquid Shadow Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Liquid Shadow Send a message via MSN to Liquid Shadow

Alright, I tried that program. It recieves MIDI messages from my Casio, but not from the module. I tried the ChangeIt! software and that recieves info from the Casio too. But if I go from the Casio into the module, the module recieves info, it just won't send it. So at this point I'm thinking that something is up with the MIDI out and I should take it in to get looked at. How would I find someone certified to check it out and fix it?

BTW, thanks for your help everyone. I'm finally getting somewhere with this.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:33 AM
nismael Offline
Keyboard Master

Good! Your cable doesn't seem to be the problem then.

I don't know where you got your module, but if it is really broken, there's probably a warranty on it. I suggest you call your dealer, or a local music store and ask if they can repair it. Otherwise you may have to call Roland to know where you can get the thing repaired,

I don't know anything about modules, but maybe there is something wrong with the configuration.

Just found some interesting posts in this thread : http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp...44&mpage=1

Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
attic-keys Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Yo I have a problem with my Midi connection too...

I have a casio ,and I want to connect it to my pc and record the things that I play on my keys on the PC ... I bought a MIDI/usb connection device and I'm working with cakewalk pro audio 9.0 .

The problem is I can't record , I can know that you have to put a channel on ARM and then press RECORD , when I did that I could hear a metronome as if I could start playing. But nothing happens , nothing is recorded

Could anybody please tell me what the problem is???

Old 02-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Omega Monkey Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Omega Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow

Did you ever get this working, LS? If Im understanding your schematic correctly, I see one major error. Am I right to believe that the blue circles represent that the in and out from the computer are going to the out and thru of the JV1010? If so that is your problem. A thru is an OUT, not an in, so it wont work connected to another out (or another thru). A thru is basically a bypass, think of it like a link in a chain. You start at the master out to the in of the next device in the chain. From there after, you go from the thru to the in of the next device. In this way you can chain for as long as you have devices with thru ports and each device will be receiving the same midi signal from the master controller. The out is just the signal from THAT device (ie the OUT of the JV1010 only sends control signals that originate at the JV 1010). Im kind of surprised no one really talked about that in this thread.

However, some midi devices are able to set an out (or a thru) as a combined out/thru (they do this through software typically, ie a menu function). Assuming that your computer and jv1010 need 2 way communication for the editing software to work (usually you do, but not always), you need a complete in out in out loop between the 2 somehow. So what that means is you need a loop with all 3, and the flow of the loop will depend on which device(s) can be merged like that.

So we have 8 ins and outs as follows...

1-Casio In
2-Casio Out
3-Casio Thru
4-Roland In
5-Roland Out
6-Roland Thru
7-Comp In
8-Comp Out

Basically the purpose of the loop is to integrate the signal from the keyboard. If your module like the 1080 has a "audition" button, you might not need to do that but it would probably be useful to have.

So if the Casio has a merge function, you want...
2-4
5-7
8-1

2-4 get the control signal to the JV so you can play it as well as the comp out to the JV for editing. 5-7 get the out of the JV to the comp. And 8-1 sends the comp signal to the keyboard to later be relayed to the JV.

If the computer has a merge, you would still need the Casio to merge anyway. But it would look like this...
2-7
8-4
5-1

Edit, I just realized though that according to your diagram, the Casio doesnt have a thru (I hastily assumed it did without looking too closely). That could mean different things. Either the out is *automatically* merged (possible but unlikely), its able to be set to be a merge (also unlikely) or you are screwed (likely). If its one of the first options though, either of those setups I mentioned should work.

For more info, go here:

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6597

Last edited by Omega Monkey; 02-27-2006 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Liquid Shadow Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Liquid Shadow Send a message via MSN to Liquid Shadow

This is ancient. heh.

What I figured out eventually was that the out port of the JV is just blown entirely, so using a sound editor that requires the ability to send info to the module and receive from it as well is out of the question. But I managed to find one that simply sends a signal to the module, and that's all you need. It just tells the unit what parameters to play with and does a little sample tone if you want it to (sends a signal to play a note and then the module will play the sound you are screwing with on the computer). Then you just tell it to save that edit if you like.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 AM
attic-keys Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Yo I have a problem with my Midi connection too...

I have a casio ,and I want to connect it to my pc and record the things that I play on my keys on the PC ... I bought a MIDI/usb connection device and I'm working with cakewalk pro audio 9.0 .

The problem is I can't record , I can know that you have to put a channel on ARM and then press RECORD , when I did that I could hear a metronome as if I could start playing. But nothing happens , nothing is recorded.

Could anybody please tell me what the problem is???

Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Omega Monkey Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Omega Monkey

Your problem is you arent recording. You are sequencing (or something close to it). MIDI is not an audio signal, its a control signal. Didnt you ever wonder why there are no amps or mixers with MIDI inputs (well there are som mixers, but you cant use the MIDI port as a sound input)? You need to hook an instrument cable from your casio to your soundcard to be able to record. You only need the MIDI cable if you are doing any sequencing (either internally from the casio to sync it to the click track in cakewalk or externally and/or from cakewalk itself).

For more info, go here:

http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6597

Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 AM
attic-keys Offline
Keyboard Initiate

I don't think it's possible that you can watch me ''flippin the burgers'' because I'm from Hollland.

But You're saying that I can't record with the cable that I have right know, and your suggesting that I should have an instrument cable and hook it op to my soundcard, but where do I put that cable in my keyboard???

I only have these inputs(outputs) power suply , R line out , L/mono line out , sustain , Midi out , Midi in . thats it ...

And I don't mind that your answer takes two houres to download so what's your answer???

Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
jeebustrain Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Location: fresh off the mothership, straight from chocolate city

Quote:
Originally Posted by attic-keys
I don't think it's possible that you can watch me ''flippin the burgers'' because I'm from Hollland.

But You're saying that I can't record with the cable that I have right know, and your suggesting that I should have an instrument cable and hook it op to my soundcard, but where do I put that cable in my keyboard???

I only have these inputs(outputs) power suply , R line out , L/mono line out , sustain , Midi out , Midi in . thats it ...

And I don't mind that your answer takes two houres to download so what's your answer???

heh... that's his signature... see the hroizontal line in the middle of the post?

But yeah, he's right... You need to hook a patch cable from the audio out of the keyboard (or the headphone jack if you don't have one) into the soundcard's line-in. That's going to be the only way you're going to record audio
MyCrap # Korg Kronos 88 (fully expanded) | Kurz PC361 (w/ KORE64) | Roland V-Synth | Alesis Fusion8HD | Korg Prophecy | Yamaha CP-30 | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49