Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

I'd need help getting a Dist-lead more "clear" wit
Old 11-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Mago_Lari Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Mago_Lari Send a message via MSN to Mago_Lari
Default I'd need help getting a Dist-lead more "clear" wit

Hi to all, people..
this time i need help because im having some problem in getting my lead sounds more clear with any noise...

Sample #1

Sample #2

You can hear in the 1 sample a lot of noise, that increases a lot when i add some reverb to the lead..
In the 2 you can hear that when i use the pitch bend, appears a strange noise sound, that i really don't know from what is generated..
so..how to remove this noises?
thank you very much also for reading it!

Claudio

Old 11-06-2003, 05:13 AM
Quili Offline
Keyboard Initiate

ahhh! "holy solos", nice! :) I could hear you got a msn message while recording! I tend to get those into my rocordings as well somehow...

I know the problem you are talking about, Ive experienced it too, most apparent in the upper registers actually... I found though that when I recorded the solo sound to a background the noises werent disturbing any more... In the first sample it sounds like you may have a little too much attack in the patch, maybe you could fiddle with the amp and filter envelopes a little bit to reduce some of that. The noise that occurs during the sustained note seems to appear (to me at least) when distortion is applied. The noise seems to oscillate at a slow speed, so perhaps the distortion accentuates the "break point" frequencies created by the cutoff/resonance settings of the filter section if you see what I mean. At least in my case, if Im dealing with analog type synth programming, I set the cutoff and resonance to a point where thay create a feedback sound which varies over time (which later becomes highlighted by the distortion)... Im not sure if this is the same problem you have, but Ive decided that it doesnt bother me anymore when the sound is added to a
mix.

Another possibility is that frequencies that are low enough to not be heard without the distortion become apparent when you do apply it. Perhaps these could be filtered out by some sort of HPF... Anyway, keep fiddling and tell us if you discover the source of it! Good luck!

Old 11-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Mago_Lari Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Yes, i received a message while recording..i forgot to select only "line in" and not what you hear", eheh..

By the way, i should try changing the Eg for the Amp section, and i will surely inform you..for now it i can tell you taht it not depends to the resonance or the cutoff settings cause i managed with that 2 for make it more metallic and thay dont mind on this noise..maybe i have some mistake in volume setting from the key to the pc, ( the mixer, the audio in, the volume of the key..dunno..) i will check this now!
Thank you a lot for answering me, i will let you know!

Claudio

Old 11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Cary Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to Cary

Although I am by far no expert at this, could some of your problems be remedied by eq? Is the keyboard out too "hot" for the computer in? I would try turning down the output of the keys (impedance mismatch?) and using a HPF.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Mago_Lari Offline
Keyboard Initiate

ok..now i fixed the back noise, the problem remains the other strange noise, when i use the pitch, but i think i can solve that by adjusting the amaount of send Fx of the 3 ( yes three..so i have a slot of Distortion distorted by another Distortion which is distorted too) slot used for Distortion..
thanks again!
claudio

Old 11-08-2003, 12:06 PM
synthguy Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to synthguy Send a message via AIM to synthguy

You're going to have some of that noise when you use distortion because of the way distortion clips the signal to make it more "jagged," especially if you're using a digital synth to make the lead like a Roland JD990 or Kurzweil. Personally, I think it helps give leads some character, along with that percussive pop at the start of the note, sort of like a guitar pick. I wouldn't mess with it too much, since the less distortion you use, the less aggressive it sounds. Be sure to increase the output volume of the distortion effect when you decrease your distortion amount, or the volume of the signal going into the effect, so that it sounds as loud as your other sounds, or a littlle louder.

Oh yeah, the first lead was killer. I like it a lot.