Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

What is a good starter Keyboard?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Gunslinger Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default What is a good starter Keyboard?

I am looking for a beginner Keyboard for my son. I see Radioshack has one for $159 here http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...000&Page=1

but then there are some at musiciansfriend.com that look nice. I am looking to spend $200 or less. Can anyone help me out?

Old 11-03-2003, 09:18 AM
maJ estY Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via ICQ to maJ estY

Hi Gunslinger and welcome to the forum.

As for your question, you should tell us how old your son is and what he/you would like to do with it. Furthermore I don't know if you play keys aswell, so I'll start at the beginning of the world of keyboards:

There are two existing kinds of electrical "keyboards".
One is the "keyboard" and the other one is the "synthesizer".

The difference between those two:
A keyboard is very good for playing alone, because all keyboards have a "rhythm machine", which means that a keyboard can accompain your playing with a full "band". You simply play the melody with your right hand and control the accompainiment with the left one. The disadvantage of keyboards is that they have a not too good sound quality and you cannot "program" them.

A synthesizer doesn't have a rhythm machine, but they are used in bands and you can prorgran sounds on your own.

However, I guess that you're searching for an "entertaining" keyboard. I'm not up to date in that world anymore, but a manufacture with is in MY opinion the best in refererence to keyboards is Yamaha. A manufacture which I would not propose is Casio, because they produce mostly keyoards for playing around just for fun.

If your son is still very young and you just want to find out if he has fun playing keyboard, you can really look for a new keyboard in the prize range below 200$, but if he is really looking forward to play keys for a long time and you can be sure that it is true, you could also try to search a better keyboard, which is used on ebay or something like that.

I just had another look on the keyboards shown on the page you gave us!
Another important thing: If you want your son to play piano with both hands (or something else without rhythm accompainiment), you should be sure to buy a keyboard with as many keys as possible!

However, you should give us more information about what you're looking for exactly and how old your son is, because the age could be important in that case...

I hope I have helped and not irritated you ;)

Old 11-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Over The Edge

Here you go!

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Casio--3529

FL
www.franklucas.net

Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Georges Offline
Keyboard Master

Go for either Casio (CTK) or Yamaha (PSR). Roland is too expensive for you... Important for your son: accompaniement function because it makes your first step music sound like a great song. Afterwards, if he's still interested, he will automatically beg for more freedom and polyphony.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 AM
merijn Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to merijn

Georges, your way of speaking hits me in the heart! Brilliantly said! And you are so right. I started with a simple Casio too! And later, if you still want to move on, there is plenty of choice for other functions. And these days even in synthesizers a beatbox can be found, just like a keyboard. Although the price may be a little higher.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Over The Edge

The November issue of Keyboard
has a review of the Casio WK-3500
and believe it or not it got a Key Buy Award.
Hmmm...who would've figured Casio, huh?

FL
www.franklucas.net

Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Kaputz2000 Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Look at the Yamaha website, they have a lot of nice starter keyboards!

Old 11-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Shreddy Offline
Keyboard Master

Dont the lower end Yamahas have better tones than the Casio? Just my inital impression from geeking on them at Best Buy.

Ed

My band Mindwarp Chamber

thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 PM
Gunslinger Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default thanks

Has anyone ever bought from this place? http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Casio--3529 Are the products brand new or are they refurbished? Thanks for the help. I don't know whether to get the Casio WK1800 or a Yamaha PSR-292 Help me out! What should I buy, what has the best sound, and what is the best deal? I am leaning toward the Casio

Old 11-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Scrap Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to Scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy
Dont the lower end Yamahas have better tones than the Casio? Just my inital impression from geeking on them at Best Buy.

Ed
I would have to agree with Shreddy here. Yamaha makes the best portable keyboards within the ~$300 range, bar none. Also, Yamaha knows all about making professional-level keyboards - Casio doesn't. As an alternative to zzsounds.com I recommend the folks at 8thstreet.com - they've been plenty helpful with my purchases in the past.