Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

Beginner practice
Old 10-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Fesoj Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default Beginner practice

Hello and welcome to my secong thread on this forum :)

I recently (monday :)) obtained a WK3000, and have started out a little. The problem is i havent really been into piano music for long. Im searching for pieces to pratice, suitable for a beginner who wants a challenge. The most advanced i can perform at the moment is to arpeggiate most basic chords over 4-6 octaves (and yeah, i am proud :D) so dont hestitate to bring it on :roll:.

Ive been into guitar for some time, and i find practicing examples and practices to a metronome is a very effective way to build speed/coordination/whatever. Does anyone have keyboard examples like that to share? Stuffs/tips in general are welcome.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Irish Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Irish Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via MSN to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish

Asking in Jordan's forum is going to get you a good answer. Mine is going to be like what others probably will say. Online Conservatory. It costs money, but it has enough exercises to last you for years, I'm sure. That's where I get my exercises, so I can't help you with anything else =P

Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 PM
LiQuId TeNsIoN Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to LiQuId TeNsIoN

http://www.musictheory.net/

Re: Beginner practice
Old 10-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Liquid Shadow Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Liquid Shadow Send a message via MSN to Liquid Shadow
Default Re: Beginner practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesoj
Hello and welcome to my secong thread on this forum :)

I recently (monday :)) obtained a WK3000, and have started out a little.

If you want any help with getting sounds for that (and trust me...you can get some nice ones) check out ProgSounds if you haven't yet, and send me a PM if you have any questions about it. You can make that keyboard sound like you payed 4 times as much for it with the right tweaking.

As far as peices to practice....what exactly are you looking for? Some easy classical, or just some fun show tunes, or some finger excercises to get stronger and quicker?

Old 10-17-2004, 02:20 AM
VINOD Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to VINOD Send a message via Yahoo to VINOD

Hey man
First off Welcome to the Forum

and if you're looking for some practises
try Hannon exercises it helps
check out this link -- they have like 30 or 40 exercises

http://www.danmansmusic.com/free_hanon.htm

or
you cn check out
www.musictheory.net

Just try to play as many songs as possible don't hesitte to try anything
let it be j.R or Malmsteen or Paginini - Try absolutely everything and anything

Take care
Bye

Keep Rockin
Forever

Old 10-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Darkmeteor Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish
Asking in Jordan's forum is going to get you a good answer. Mine is going to be like what others probably will say. Online Conservatory. It costs money, but it has enough exercises to last you for years, I'm sure. That's where I get my exercises, so I can't help you with anything else =P
is online conservatory suitable for beginners ?

I just started learning at pianonanny.com and some other website and I tought the OC was for intermediate/advanced keyboardists

Old 10-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Fesoj Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Thanks for your answers guys, really helpful. Damn my keyboard bookmarks section has really grown alot the last days :)

Im will get into the OC in some time, i just want to settle my practice routine and stuffs before i get too complicated with JR stuff :D.

LiQuId TeNsIoN: Thanks for the link, i will spend alot of time on theory and this link was amazing! Thanks.

Liquid Shadow: Are you refering to the progsounds forum? In that case, where is the patches or sounds? Im pretty pleased with my sounds at this point, but i havent heard any other keyboard than my Casio so i cant really tell just how good they are. More sounds are always interesting tho :)

Im looking for some different pieces to practice, those really classical pieces aswell as some funny show off stuffs and exercises. If you or anyone knew a nice place where notes for this kinda stuff is collected, dont hestitate to write 8)

VINOD: Thanks for the links. Havent got the time to check out the danmansmusik site yet, but im shure its cool :P

Old 10-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Liquid Shadow Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Liquid Shadow Send a message via MSN to Liquid Shadow

Yes, the ProgSounds forum. The patches are in the section for each keyboard manufacturer (I don't think that section shows up until you register and log in). If you go to the Casio section, there are threads where different patches have been posted, and you can always request something or ask for help making a sound if you need it.

For stuff to play...
The Hanon book is good for excercises, as well as Czerny (but the Czerny excercises are much more difficult...)

If you can find a book of Clementi Sonatinas, those are fun, simple classical songs, and they're helpful with technique as well.

For some fun things to play...you can usually just pick up an easy-intermediate book from a music store with songs you'd like to learn in it. If you do that, just make sure it is a piano solo book, and not piano accompaniment (with a vocal part to go with it). I have a few books with stuff like that in them, but I haven't used them in awhile...I just figure out silly things (like the Mario theme) by ear now.