Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

"Keyboard Wizardry" - Is it worth Buying
Old 10-10-2004, 12:51 AM
VINOD Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to VINOD Send a message via Yahoo to VINOD
Default "Keyboard Wizardry" - Is it worth Buying

Hey Guys
First Thing i'm sorry about my english in some of my previous Threads i'll try to use normal English from now on

As the subject goes Is " Keyboard Wizardry" - Jordan rudess Really worth buying
Because i was thinking of ordering it and i'm sure most of u guys have seen the video
So please let me know what you guys thought of the video
I also heard somewhere that u can order a a sort of Work book first to check out the contents of the video and some of the songs he plays in the video -- where exactly can i get the information regarding dat

also please recommend any similar instuctional videos

I would really appreciate ur response

Take Care

wizardry
Old 10-10-2004, 02:08 AM
axlhog Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to axlhog
Default wizardry

Jordan told me he is looking to expand what he did with the first video pretty soon, so with the new book, potentially a new video some time in the future, etc., it's a great buy to get the materials when offered as a package deal, but just critiquing the original video, it's VERY basic, pretty short, and assuming you know a thing or 2, you only will pick up a handful of new ideas. BUT, every new idea, especially by JR, is always valuable, so I suspect many will agree with me that anything he puts out is definitely purchase-worthy; I did want to articulate, however, the video IS somewhat of a let-down. Hopefully his new releases will greatly expand that original subject matter. And also, as I hope you know already, the online conservatory is a helluva thing...
"If I could choose the way I die make it by the gun or knife. Cause the other way there's too much pain, night after night...Down in Dry County, where the promise has run dry - and no one's gettin out of here alive"

Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Mother.Mosquito Offline
Keyboard Initiate

So can I guess the OC is a bigger recource than Keyboard Wizardry? I decided to sign in to the OC - just wondering if the stuff of the video is covered there also!? Does it include some video-files, or is it just about notation and audio?

Old 10-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Irish Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Irish Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via MSN to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish

I think it offers some neat techniques, I personally enjoyed it because I love Jordan and the way he plays, and this video showcases what an amazing keyboardist he is.

It kind of feels like a private lesson from the Wizard himself, and you know that's worth it!

Old 10-10-2004, 06:53 PM
TheMagician Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to TheMagician

I always thought the video was for advanced players so hadn't thought to closely about getting it - are you saying it covers the basics and would be suitable to a rank beginner? If so I might actually get it now (unless he's planning to update it in the next few months? lol)

Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 PM
VINOD Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to VINOD Send a message via Yahoo to VINOD

hey guys
Thanks for all your replies

But I 'm Still little confused wether to get keyboard Wizardry or to Join Online Conservtory

Does any one here know the contents in the online Conservtory ( I mean Is It For Beginners or for advanced players)
And Does it cover the contents of Keyboard Wizardry in them

Thanks

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Irish Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Irish Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via MSN to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish

The OC has a lot more information as far as usefulness and ability to teach yourself based on a variety of different information. If you were to choose between the two, the OC would be far more helpful as far as actually learning to become a better keyboardist. It starts from the beginning and goes all the way to very advanced, and everything in between. I am a member, and some of the songs I play for people on piano are actually OC exercises.

Old 10-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Georges Offline
Keyboard Master

Go for both, no matter which one first. Both complement eachother, everyone saying the contrary doesn't own both, for they would not say such a thing. KW gives you the visual illustration, while OC provides you with the background theory - with KW, you will profit more from OC than only via shredding through the OC..

video
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 PM
axlhog Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to axlhog
Default video

In response to the video questions, I love it, but yes it is great especially for beginners and not very insightful at all regarding Jordan's specifically enormous talent, as it gives only little "samples" of various generic topics, hardly enough to get your feet wet. As I said previously, ANYONE can get SOMETHING from it, though, so I'd recommend it to any JR fan. And, it's fun to watch! It's very basic so it won't take you very far....

As for his next instructional product, he said he wants to get more into the technological/programming aspects, so musically you really need to go to the OC...
"If I could choose the way I die make it by the gun or knife. Cause the other way there's too much pain, night after night...Down in Dry County, where the promise has run dry - and no one's gettin out of here alive"

Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Ehren Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Ehren

Yo.

Vinod, I'd just like to say that I was only giving you a hard time before in good fun, and that I can see you're really trying hard to be a great contributor to the forum. You're a good guy.

:)