Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

My keyboard got a gig before me
Old 09-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Human Machine Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Human Machine
Default My keyboard got a gig before me

I had an odd day Saturday...
My friend had called me up around 6:00 pm saying he needed a favor. He asked if I could rent out my keyboard. Now, of course I'm thinking "rent out my baby" heck no, but he was my best friend growing up so I asked why. Apparently Steive B (not sure if you remember him. He was a freestyle artist known for his hits Spring Love, Party Your Body, I Want to Be the One, and a bunch of other 80's dance songs.) ANYWAY....he's been working with my friend to reproduce his old songs into dance songs and he wants him to help on a new album. Well Steive called up my friend and asked if he had a K2500 or K2600, so he said he didn't, but he knew someone who did. Thus the call to me. Apparently what had happened was this....there was a show going on at the Providence Preforming Art Center called the 1st annual Funk/Soul concert. It included Evelyn Champaign and New Wave, and a bunch of people from the 70's and 80's that I have heard songs from but didn't know who they were. The headlining act was Cameo (better known for the funk song "word up") Well Cameo's equipment list specifically said they needed a K2500 or K2600 but instead they were supplied a PC2. They did have a K2500 rack but I guess they couldn't get it to work for some reason. The keyboardist exclusively used a K2500 and usually just rented them where he went instead of carrying his around, but the screw up by the sound company, in charge of renting all the equipment, left him without a keyboard. So the stage manager called up every music store within 50 miles, and of course as we all know, she couldn't find one person who carried one. So she called up Steive B thinking he could help, which trickled down to a call to me. So...to make this already long story a bit shorter. I decided to help a friend out. They were actually going to cancel the show and have to refund around 2,000 $60.00 tickets if they couldn't get the keyboard, because it is an important sound in Cameo's music. So I drove to my band space, grabbed my board and drove down city to the theater. It was definately an interesting night. And even more weird was seeing my keyboard being played by someone else infront of 2,000 people, all before my band and I have had a chance to get our first gig. But I did get to make some contacts as well as $100.00 and free drinks, and the sounds and setups to all of Cameos songs (not like I'll ever use them.)
I just hope that one day I'll be able to play my keyboard infront of 2,000 people.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Bastardo Demono Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via AIM to Bastardo Demono

learn some of his songs incase the current keyboardist has a little "accident"

Old 09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Taurus Offline
Keyboard Master

*hint hint!*

:P