Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

Muscle Problems
Old 08-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Geo_Van_Deaq Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default Muscle Problems

The last couple of days when I've been playing, the midsection of my arms just tighten causing alot of pain, it lasts like a second but it's worring me. It seems to happen when it's really warm in the room or when I'm getting stressed from practicing. I usually go outside to cool off and go back 30 mins later but occasionally after that I get the pain again.

Has anyone experienced this?

Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Lucas Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Can you describe what are you playing?

Some time ago I was paying octave etude - when I had started to play in faster tempo I felt pain im my wrists after practising.
When you feel pain during playing that usually means you have some lack of technique and that creates tensions in muscules. You should improve your technique playing something easier.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
The Wizard Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to The Wizard Send a message via MSN to The Wizard

That has not happened to me (yet), but pain usually means you're too tense while playing. Relax, don't force yourself, and don't continue playing if it's hurting you.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:30 AM
King_Ellesar Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to King_Ellesar

yeah, ive had some of those pains before myself. im gonna look for the thread i started a while back when i was freaking out about it and maybe it will help. when at keyfest, a question of mine that JR answered was about these pains some get from playing, and he also said just to relax while your playing. and if you feel your muscles cramp or tighten up, just take a short break and actually shake your hands out a bit. i havent had such pains since before i started doing that, and its been working great for me. some finger/hand strength techniques as well as some attention to posture and position of arms and hands might help a little as well. JR also reccomended if and when you do "table-top" practicing, for finger exercizes, your whole arm should be flat on the table and not at an incline or anything. this seems to work and it might get your arm trained to be level as it's supposed to. i was ignorant to proper techniques before and still am no expert on this stuff, but i think there is a piano teacher or two around here that could help you out with that.

ahh, heres that thread! *** LOTSA GOOD TIPS HERE!!!***

Old 08-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Georges Offline
Keyboard Master

Stop playing and consult a doctor and/or a kinesitherapist. So much for my advice, I'd recommend you to make use of it asap.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:07 PM
MarkDTMMZ Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MarkDTMMZ

I've experienced pain throughout my playing, and I'm very carefull about taking care of my arms, wrists, and hands. It's good that you stopped playing and took a break, definatly don't play through the pain. I do a good 5 minute stretch before I practice/perform to get loose. I do it before I do my warmups. I stretch out my wrists, arms and shoulders before I get my hands moving on the keyboard. It's important to be as loose as you can. I look it like an athlete who stretches before they do their warmups. You want to be able to play for as long as possible, therefore make sure you take care of yourself. IMO, no matter what kind of music, or how difficult/involved your playing its very important to stretch because it warms up the musicles and the connection between your brain and those muscles/tendons. If your brain isn't warmed up to that, it will push you to play harder causing you to stiffen up and hurt yourself.
Take care =)

Mark
www.mmzband.com