Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password

For any keyboardists out there with a band....
Old 08-01-2004, 11:40 PM
EdKeys Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via MSN to EdKeys
Default For any keyboardists out there with a band....

I dont want this to sound weird, its just that I have a problem and I would like to know if anyone else out there feels like me.

I have a prog rock/metal band. I really enjoy all of my writting sessions as well as performing and everything else, but ive always had this weird feeling to be left out, and AM NOT, I mean my group has always supported me in many ways, its just that u know the guitar get all this attention, the drums as well and i mean the bass NEEDS to be there so I just get the feeling that sometimes keyboards are more of like an extra "cool thing" but its always extra, i really dont know how to put my feelings into words I would like to know if anyone has ever had this feeling....

Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 AM
MarkDTMMZ Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MarkDTMMZ

I was in a piano/bass/drums rock band for years...and I've heard every piano in a rock band joke that there is. We have a guitar player now, and the keys are definatly not the "balls" instrument, but helps fill out the sound under the piano. I understand my role in each song, and enjoy working within that role.
The keyboard player can easily turn into the underapreciated member of the band, but if you and your bandmates are good musicians with good ears, they realize how importnat the keys are to the make up of your band. They serve a purpose just like every other instrument does. If you feel like you're being slided speak up to your bandmates, and express this to them.

Mark
www.mmzband.com

"I Thought I was joining this bad ass rock and roll band.....So what's with the Piano?" -Matt Sorum, GNR/Velvet Revolver

Old 08-02-2004, 12:21 AM
MarkDTMMZ Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MarkDTMMZ

I meant to say the guitar fills out the sound under the piano. =)

Mark
www.mmzband.com

Old 08-02-2004, 01:30 AM
WoofWoofX Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to WoofWoofX Send a message via MSN to WoofWoofX Send a message via Yahoo to WoofWoofX

Hello there...ummm ....been there done that,
Well to tell you the truth, Keys are really important in the band even though some guitarist wouldn't like it... for the Rock... they're like Women " can't live with them...and can't live without them"
and in most of the times K/Bists feel like alienated from the scene...
So here's my two cents for you...

If you keep on filling the gaps (with pads and organs...) you will be the one holding everything together without anyone noticing it but other KBists and good musician... the good part is that your band is supportive and they don't tell you lower the volume each time they here you

Now the whole thing is related to your experience... if you play cover songs (that doesn't include a main KB line) try to create Intros with complex sounds and arpegiators ...where you can be alone to create that "what the hell is it.." feeling and try to change the sounds everyonce in a while... since there's nothing more borring like having the same sounds played in all songs...

I call it the Unholly trinity...Strings, Hammond...and Piano... if you are stuck with these your playing will be an ambient noise that is there but you want feel it untill it stops...

Now If you are writing your own... try to be smooth in getting the KB part as interresting as possible and also it is important ...that you layer sounds and let them hear that it is not only a piano is playing... and work on effects as mutch as you can so you can drop interresting stuff during the show... and last...this worked for me....really BIG Time...
Children music...and very well know anthems like commercial advert hooks... when it is really calm and everyone is waiting on stage for the second act (In Pubs and not Concerts)... start something like a medley...e.g itsibitsispider..twinkle twinkle...flinstones...Popey...etc and make everyone sing you should the omost smiling guy on stage and the only "Clown" in a positive way... Guitarist (in majority) are realy stiff and try to give this "I am the hero" kinda look... so distribute smiles for free....

That's It

Enjoy it
WoofWoofX

********* CHANGE USER ********

Old 08-02-2004, 02:29 AM
aryo_a Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

ok...ok... i know your feeling, i'm a keyboardist in an alternative band (we make songs like hoobastank, sum 41) and you know what they want? they just want me to play block chords in each song! :evil: and, yes, i feel it too, the keyboardist isn't a important member, "it's good to have a keyboard player, but it's not that important.". so when we make some new song, i try to experiment in many ways, i play soft lead, weird pads, and they love it, it's make "a different taste" to it, so keyboard is important.... it's just how you play this thing....

WoofWoofX : nice idea! i want to play mario theme :wink:

Old 08-02-2004, 03:14 AM
ktriton Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ktriton

Can't say the same. In my band, if I were to leave it'd all fall apart. And I'm not trying to show off or display an egocentric machismo or anything, here.

It's just that you have to force yourself to be a vital part of the compositions. Don't let the band give you background and filler parts ONLY. Take an offensive, pro-active approach to your music and try to elaborate on as many dimension of the song is possible (and appropriate--there are going to be some songs where simplistic and 'in-the-background' are a must).

This is not to say that you should wank off at every twist and turn, but use some musical integrity to take more a vital role in your band's songs.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Taurus Offline
Keyboard Master

My answer is simple: come up with a killerpatch that EVERYBODY likes, not just keyboardists..
Come up with some things that are 'typically you'.
Do weird cool stuff, like double the bassplayer with some acid 303 patch or smth in some parts. Parts that make ppl go like 'oohh... groovy......!!'

Do something that stands out, and that only -you- as a keyboardist can do.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Taurus Offline
Keyboard Master

Also realize that you AND the guitarist probably will have most musical knowledge when it comes to harmony.

Dare to speak for yourself and arrange riffs togheter with your guitarist or something. Try to be a leader-type.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Shreddy Offline
Keyboard Master

Do like Frank Lucas (Over the Edge) and start a band where the keyboardist is the main guy. With that said he lets the drummer and bassist play balls out too.

The band that I just left was the guitarists band. When we played live I put my board at the front of the stage and made sure that I was seen and paid attention to. When playing I really get into it, low stance, head banging, exaggerated hand movements, extra slides (glissado), I also was trading solos with the guitarist and had a couple keyboard intros for songs.

ed

Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 AM
lighthouse Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to lighthouse

I think I`m the only one that haven`t had that problem......keyboardists in metal or rock qorund here are so few. that we`re like the strange exotic thing so everyone is always paying attention to the keyboard player!

Lucky me i guess!!, jajaj

Cheers
Juan Pablo

www.timesforgottencr.com/

www.myspace.com/timesforgottenband