Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

SCSI Drive Question
Old 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM
whitelightening Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Default SCSI Drive Question

I have never used a SCSI drive before, and I'm wondering if a SCSI CD drive is what I need for what I'm wanting to do. I just acquired some CD-Rom samples loaded with a ton of sounds I want to use with the K2600XS. First off, can I just plug in a SCSI CD drive and load those samples into the 2600's internal memory? Will it be using Sample memory or program memory? I'd really like to know how this works, but so far no one seems to be able to give me an answer. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-01-2004, 05:42 AM
ImaX Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via ICQ to ImaX

You'll need an SCSI-tower (case for drives, power supply and connectors) with a CD-ROM-drive.

You have to connect your CD-ROM with the K2600 using the right (!) SCSI-canle. You find the specifications in your manual. At the SCSI-tower there should be a switch to set an ID-number for the CD-ROM. In an SCSI-chain your K2500 should be ID#6, so set the CD-ROM to any other value. If you don't have a HD installed in your K2600 you have to set the termination-switch at the back to "terminated", otherwise it's alredy terminated. Also take care that the CD-ROM is terminated, there should also be a switch or something at your SCSI-tower.

An SCSI-chain is a chain of some SCSI-devices, that are connected in a row, in your case just CD-ROM <> K2600. The devices on both ends have to be terminated, the other ones must not be terminated, so in your case both devices must be terminated.

If you have everything connected your CD-ROM should appear in the list in "disk-mode", then you can handle it like for example the flopp drive and load files.

If you have CDs with samples these are only stored in sample-memory. If there are programs together with the samples the programs are stored in program ram and the samples still in sample ram.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:38 AM
whitelightening Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Wow, thanks. I didn't know it would be that complicated, but once I get it set up sounds like it'll run pretty smoothly.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 AM
ImaX Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via ICQ to ImaX

It normally runs without problems, and once you get the idea how it works it's very easy.

- every device has own ID
- all devices are in a chain with terminations at both ends

That's all :-)