Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

My first synth: triton or k2600x!?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:45 AM
FbeShox Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to FbeShox Send a message via MSN to FbeShox
Default My first synth: triton or k2600x!?

Hi people!

I have to buy a synth, i never played a synth, i played only piano...

I'm in doubt: i didn't understand the differences about Korg Triton Extreme and Kurzweil k2600x... In what is better triton and in what is better k2600x!?!?

With triton can i assign more sounds to a keys as kurzweil!?

You know if in programs korg and kurzweil have new best synth which will be release before Christmas!?!? :)

Tnx for the answers! :)

Old 07-31-2004, 09:10 AM
ImaX Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via ICQ to ImaX

I'm asking this question to myself everytime someone want to buy a Kurzweil or Triton, but has never used a synth before... in your position I'd buy neither the one nor the other.

Get yourself a "cheaper" synth, there are good synths with much enough options for you to play and program around (I started with the Korg N5, worked perfect). When you know what it's all about you an still get something bigger. IMO you shouldn't get the most complex at first, because you won't be able to use all options you've paid for.

Sorry, just my opinion if you still want to get one of those two I can just ay that the Kurzweil might have more possibilitys while the Korg has the better preset sounds.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Enigma™ Offline
The Enforcer

Send a message via ICQ to Enigma™ Send a message via AIM to Enigma™ Send a message via MSN to Enigma™

Thank you.

Point is that you're not going to use EITHER synth if you're just starting to it's full capabilities, and starting with an "easier" one is good because you'll know when you outgrow it, if you ever do.

Start with maybe a Triton LE - They're still very cheap, decent sound quality, awesome effects, flexible and if you're serious about getting a SYNTH synth *like a complete workstation, not that the LE isn't* then you could look into the extreme or the 2600.

But I promise being new, unless you're a freak like me, and you got the 2600 you'd spend more time being frustrated not knowing how it works then you would actually making music with it. It's a HARD synth to master and it's also the most flexible synthesis available as well... so it's sort of... a double edged sword *Shrugs*

But there you have it :)

Old 07-31-2004, 10:36 AM
FbeShox Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

I don't have money for buy before a cheaper synth (which cost also much) and then another synth which cost much.. i played piano since i was 6, now i'm 17.. I can play in mre complex, in my zone is very difficult to found a keyboarder...

Retourning on my first question abount k2600x and triton extreme!? :)

Oh wait... I didn't want to say that I play piano or keyboard òoke nobody in the world, INDEED , I'm not a really good player for now, overall because now i don't like so much play on my piano and I should want finally play with my friends in a complex, then I need the right keyboard for play with them! :) I hope overall that ther will be the manual in italian! :D :D :D :D

Pls helm me! ;) ;) ;)

ps. for live triton le is also good!?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:07 AM
Rexx Offline
Keyboard Master

If you plan on using the synth at home I'd buy the K2600x (Ok I realise I'm biased) :)
If you are going to use the synth for reheasal, home and gigs then get the Triton Extreme or something lighter (seriously the K2600x is unbelievably heavy)

For those just starting out with synthesis I agree it's better to start off with a simpler synth to a point but I owned 3 synths before I bought a K2500x and I doubt those synths really prepaired me much if at all.
Example#1: Your first synth is a Xp-10 and you figure out everything it can do in 2 months. You'll see some of the limitations.
Example#2: Your first synth is a K2600x and you spend years trying to grasp an instrument which has infinate possibilities.

One of the things I noticed about music is yearning for better gear, if you start with the best you have no synth to yearn for because you already have it. This in the long run doesn't help a young musician. You need passion in music.

Let me use a guitarist analogy;
A kid gets a beginner guitar and a cheap amp and works towards buying better gear, all the while dreaming of better gear and practicing, getting better.
A spoiled kid gets his parents to buy him a Marshall stack and a Ibanez 7 string Jem Universe and in having it all proceeds to not dream of gear. Often this kid doesn't progress like former.
I think it's a valid point to make because I've seen this over and over :P

Old 07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
FbeShox Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx
If you plan on using the synth at home I'd buy the K2600x (Ok I realise I'm biased) :)
If you are going to use the synth for reheasal, home and gigs then get the Triton Extreme or something lighter (seriously the K2600x is unbelievably heavy)

Sorry, but my little english can't allow mw to understand this sentences... i didn't undestand gigs and rehesal! :)

But for live performances the Triton le how is!?!?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 AM
Enigma™ Offline
The Enforcer

Send a message via ICQ to Enigma™ Send a message via AIM to Enigma™ Send a message via MSN to Enigma™

I've used it live and with the exception of the outputs being a touch hot *or really loud in comparison to most other synths* it seems to be pretty good - very reliable, I've never had a problem with it ;)

And I have both the 2500X and the Triton LE :)

Old 07-31-2004, 11:40 AM
FbeShox Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

If i understand you suggest me to buy the kurzweil... right!?

Old 07-31-2004, 01:39 PM
hyeok Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

I got as my first synth as the Kurzweil 2500x, and I loved it! The first couple of months I just played around with the presets and actually didn't do anything complex with it for a while.
Than, the Kurzweil manual found a home in my bathroom and has become my regular bathroom reading material! Ever since than, I've been really enjoying the elegant complexities the Kurzweil has to offer. When I saw Triton Extreme in the magazine, I kinda wished I hadn't bought the Kurzweil, but my royalties returned soon after. No Synth, I mean NO SYNTH could take me away from my Kurzweil! I love it so much. I especially get a thrill out of all the programming things! It's so much fun trying to figure things out. But then again, you might want to ignore this advice since my favorite subject in high scool was Chemistry. :roll:

Old 07-31-2004, 01:56 PM
ktriton Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ktriton

I say get neither and instead go for the CS6x. It's much cheaper and it's a great synth. It should be around $350-600 and if you go for the CS1x or 2x, you can probably find them for under $200! Great stuff all of them! Good luck finding them though

Although a Triton SE is not a bad idea either. I have a Triton rack and the sounds are incredible. Easy mapping for multis and combinations. Incredible control of the patches--from many different dynamic aspects. Although, you'll find that even though the synthesized sounds are great, the 'natural' voices aren't that great--the acoustic pianos are decent at best. It's definitely an option if you're going to be heavily using synths.

I've only had a little experience with the Kurzweil, but from what I gather, it's a MONSTER of a keyboard. Infinitely complex mapping and voice rendering matracies and a huge hard disk for memory. Personally, I don't think even I will be ready for that beast for quite some time.

What kind of music does your band play? There are different synths for different applications.