Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

Excuse my ignorance
Old 07-02-2004, 06:52 PM
MetalliJedi Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MetalliJedi Send a message via MSN to MetalliJedi Send a message via Yahoo to MetalliJedi
Default Excuse my ignorance

I´m not a keyboard player, so I have some excuse to ask the next question, please don´t kill me... but is beter to know than forever stay in the shadows of ignorance.

Whta´s the difference between a Synthetiser and a Keyboard? I gather the two are different entyties.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Enigma™ Offline
The Enforcer

Send a message via ICQ to Enigma™ Send a message via AIM to Enigma™ Send a message via MSN to Enigma™

THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!! AHA HAHA

Actually a synthesiser has the ability to EDIT the sounds and change them and form them.
A Keyboard can only PLAY BACK sounds already recorded!

Easy? :)

Old 07-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Kurzweilfreak Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Kurzweilfreak Send a message via AIM to Kurzweilfreak Send a message via MSN to Kurzweilfreak Send a message via Yahoo to Kurzweilfreak

Two totally different terms.

A keyboard is an instrument that you play by pressing *gasp* keys!!

A synthesizer is a device that produces sound with various methods to alter that sound, usually in the form of (but not limited to):

[oscillator] -> [filter or other sound shaping processor] -> [amplifier]

A synthesizer may or may not be controlled by a keyboard device, and a keyboard may or may not be controlling a synthesizer.

Confused enough yet? :P

Prog band rig:
Kurzweil PC3X
Kurzweil K2661

80's cover band rig:
Kurzweil PC3X
Yamaha Motif ES6

Other keyboards:
Korg Triton classic
Kurzweil Micropiano
Kurzweil PC2R

Old 07-03-2004, 06:26 AM
maJ estY Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via ICQ to maJ estY

I agree with the other twos, I would have explained it this way:

keyboard:
A keyboard has got rhythm "styles" and sounds, which are saved on it. You can edit the sounds with effects and so on, but...

synthesizer:
...a synthesizer CREATES the sounds. It doesn't play back sounds which are saved on it. A synthesizer exists of oscillators which create a sound that was programmed and saved as a preset, or you have programmed it yourself. Furthermore, a synthesizer does not have a rhythm machine like a keyboard.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Enigma™ Offline
The Enforcer

Send a message via ICQ to Enigma™ Send a message via AIM to Enigma™ Send a message via MSN to Enigma™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togakure
Two totally different terms.

A keyboard is an instrument that you play by pressing *gasp* keys!!

A synthesizer is a device that produces sound with various methods to alter that sound, usually in the form of (but not limited to):

[oscillator] -> [filter or other sound shaping processor] -> [amplifier]

A synthesizer may or may not be controlled by a keyboard device, and a keyboard may or may not be controlling a synthesizer.

Confused enough yet? :P
That's the actual CORRECT version, however I didn't want to confuse the poor guy, so I explained it in a way that most people refrence.

That's like being so specific about a bass or bass guitar. Sheesh.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:49 PM
MetalliJedi Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MetalliJedi Send a message via MSN to MetalliJedi Send a message via Yahoo to MetalliJedi

Thank you for your help to come out of the shadows ignorance.

I was certain that the two were different things, but I wanted to know the differences between them.

For the record, I´m a gal... as my signature states :D, have a nice day.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Enigma™ Offline
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliJedi
Thank you for your help to come out of the shadows ignorance.

I was certain that the two were different things, but I wanted to know the differences between them.

For the record, I´m a gal... as my signature states :D, have a nice day.
Whoops!

My apologies for the anatomy mis-recognition :D

I don't always have this problem, I swear! lol

Old 07-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Taurus Offline
Keyboard Master

Jan, with your PSR you can still revoice and such, and thats basically the same what you do with your XP-30. You cant sample with most synthesizers unless it has a sampler installed.. They are still called synthesizers, and the way you create your sound there is basically the same way as on a PSR-keyboard.
You can collect wave-forms and mix them togheter with some effects. Newer PSR-keyboards have MIDI2 these days wich gives the ability to do attack,cutoff,reso&decay as well. Basically that would be even more like a synthesizer according to your theory. Nah.

I have to go with Togakure on this one. Though I do agree with you Jan, when people call us 'playing the keyboard' i sometimes interpret in the way of some newbie guy trying to use Styles with his left hand, and having a trumpet with bells on his right hand. It gives the word 'keyboard' often the wrong meaning.

Yeah...
We play Metropolis pt1 with a style on the (far inferior) left hand... and we do labrie's singing with (our extremely skilled) Righthand...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah. We are cool. We play the almighty -----====SYNTHESIZER!!====-----