Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > General Chat
User Name
Password
Closed Thread

Jordan not using a Kurzweil anymore???
Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Human Machine Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Human Machine
Default Jordan not using a Kurzweil anymore???

I read this in another post but I thought it deserved it's own thread. Is this true? Jordan is going with the Korg Triton Extreme for the next tour:?: I'm guessing he'll still be using the Kurzweil rack seeing as most of his signature sounds are Kurzweil sounds. How did this come about? Is Kurzweil not sponsoring him anymore? Does anyone know the story or if Jordan reads this, is there a particular reason for this move?

Old 07-19-2004, 04:16 PM
King_Ellesar Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via AIM to King_Ellesar

i have researched the korg triton extreme for a while and i now finally have one of my own and it is in my opinion easy to see why he would change, if in fact he is. im not an authority on synthesizers or JR's relationship with kurzweil, but i doubt that he has changed because they are not "sponsoring" him anymore. i dont think he was even 'sponsored' by them, but im not sure. from what ive heard and from the little experience i have had with a kurzweil synth, it seems like the korg is a great deal easier to work with. ive heard many complain on how complicated the kurzweil system for programming sounds can be and have heard a lot that korg is one of the most user-friendly synths out there. the extreme does have some really cool features, and im sure with the MOSS expansion boards installed, it might be able to match up to the high and mighty kurz. if JR can get the same sounds, or maybe even better sounds on the korg, and at the same time, getting them quicker and more convieniently, then why wouldnt he change? it would make a few things quite easier. also, think of how long he has had the kurz (well not the same exact one obviously, but working with a kurz). maybe he just wanted a change. but id have to say, i would miss that huge ribbon for soloing, i always thought that was so cool. but the extreme is blue, and it looks so cool in the dark with the light from the screen and the tube, so...KORG wins!

Old 07-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Awake Offline
Keyboard Master

Send a message via MSN to Awake

Question: although Kurzweil sell the ribbon as a stand-alone add-on, and I won't dispute the easiness of programming a Korg vs a Kurz (I have no idea, truthfully), wouldn't the main obstacle to migrating from Kurz to Korg be Jordan's extensive use of setups in a live setting? I was under the impression that only Kurz will let you do that, create a long list of various setups and cycle through them with pedal clicks.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 PM
TritonuS Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake
Question: although Kurzweil sell the ribbon as a stand-alone add-on, and I won't dispute the easiness of programming a Korg vs a Kurz (I have no idea, truthfully), wouldn't the main obstacle to migrating from Kurz to Korg be Jordan's extensive use of setups in a live setting? I was under the impression that only Kurz will let you do that, create a long list of various setups and cycle through them with pedal clicks.
You can stack programs into combinations with the Korg and save them in the desired order, and then cycle through them with a pedal.

Maybe the usb-interfaces of the Extreme makes it easier/quicker to upload sounds than with the kurz? I don't know. And I've never played a fully weighted kurz but maybe he likes the key action of the korg better? Dunno.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:32 AM
koma666 Offline
Keyboard Initiate

In Italy someone asked Jordan about his new Korg Triton Extreme while i was standing next to him( :D ).
He said that he will use the Triton Extreme. Then he mentioned that the support from Kurzweil is very bad!

should be clear now

koma
:twisted: :twisted:

Old 07-20-2004, 12:51 AM
WoofWoofX Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to WoofWoofX Send a message via MSN to WoofWoofX Send a message via Yahoo to WoofWoofX

That sounds bad...
I don't think the Extreme has the versatility in control that the Kurz has, it is far easier for programing... but you can't get as complex as the k...
IMHO there are too many artists endorsing or sponsored by Korg while Kurzweil is way behind and that might explain it
Quote:
Then he mentioned that the support from Kurzweil is very bad!
, even though I still beleive that K programming and quality will blow thw Korg to dust...
Anyway I have both (not the extrem though) and the support on Korg is far better...(sent an e-mail to Kurzsupport about 4 month ago...still no reply not even a "sorry we can't support" message)

Hope we still have the best of quality and the Korg will cope with Jordan's creativity after all it has been ages he's worked with Kurzweil...BUT ISN'T HE THE GENIUS BEHIND "THE WHEEL"...

//WoofWoofX

********* CHANGE USER ********

Old 07-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Semmi78 Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoofWoofX
That sounds bad...
I don't think the Extreme has the versatility in control that the Kurz has, it is far easier for programing... but you can't get as complex as the k...
IMHO there are too many artists endorsing or sponsored by Korg while Kurzweil is way behind and that might explain it
I am sorry, but I dont understand why a synth HAS to be complex to be a great instrument? I read it overytime in here when there is a battle between Korg-Kurzweil.
The main advantage of Korg is that they are user-friendly and someone doesnīt need to program for days/weeks to get what they want.

I would not get my fingers burn on a synth that needs programlogic to get the best out of it. Ok, mabe itīs a challenge, but not mine.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:57 AM
WoofWoofX Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to WoofWoofX Send a message via MSN to WoofWoofX Send a message via Yahoo to WoofWoofX

Hi Semmi,
When I mentioned Programming and Complexity I didn't mean that ..
The Complexity OF programing... Rather than the complexity of the program i.e PCG in Korgs language... AKA Patch in Synth language.

The multi layerd sounding of VAST along with KDFX architecture is way ahaead MOSS programing and that only IMHO (I don't know if anyone will share the opinion)

I know what takes 20mn on a Kurzweil...will be a 5mn tops on a KORG butwhen it gets to controling terms you get too many sliders pedals wheels and ribons to do and trigger what ever you want at any time you want.

Now if anyone is using Extreme...do you know if when changing patches you get a cut in the sound due to effects.... or not (since trinity and tirton suffer also)

Sorry if this issue has changed to a different thing but Kurzweil Lost in this battle if Jordan has moved to Korg.

//WoofWoofX

********* CHANGE USER ********

Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Semmi78 Offline
Keyboard Initiate

Thanx for clarification :D
Well, it was just a reaction based on the things I read sometimes in here, not specifically to you. Every instrument has itīs weakness. For Kurzweil it is the price (otherwise I already had one) and the complexity, fo Korg it is the slow processor ( in some cases, not the Extreme), problems when changing programs, tweakoptions and the pianos. Enough now!

Maybe the deal with Korg is just better. Why stay with a company that cannot provide one with the things/services you want/need to use? Well, I donīt know what the exact reason is, IF it is true, but this might be a good theory. :roll:

Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
maJ estY Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via ICQ to maJ estY

Human Machine:
You wrote that you have read that Jordan would use the Extreme from now on in another thread. Could you please give us the link to this thread or tell us who wrote that?

To be honest, I think that I would be one of the first persons who would know that he would change his Kurzweil for a Korg.
I am actually 100% sure that he did not change and this is only a rumour!!! I won't believe that before salty, another mod, Dani or Jordan himself posts this here!

I attended his clinic in January and he also talked much about Kurzweil and other keyboards. There are different things that Jordan demands of his main keyboard. The most important thing is that a sound does not disappear or change when you play a note and switch to another sound.
I doubt that the Extreme offers this feature, because actually no other manufacture beside Kurzweil offers this.
Furthermore, where would he have his ribbon controller?

Let me tell you something else: This is something which has nothing to do with sponsoring! We're talking about Jordan's main keyboard - that means it does not matter if Kurzweil or Korg sponsors him, he would only take the very BEST!

He might use sounds from the Extreme, but not the keyboard itself as main keyboard, because concerning controlling, the K2600 is waaaaaaayys better than the Extreme.

Closed Thread