Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

Still looking for a mixer...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 AM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Send a message via MSN to -=AnatomiC=-
Default Still looking for a mixer...

It's kinda really hard for me.
I need a mixer that would be great for recording AND for live mixing of my rig. Because I'm starting to work with PC recording more and more.

First I was interested in something analog, like Mackie VLZ, but I think it would not be so great for recording.
Because you have limited outputs and a PC has limited analog inputs. So the resulting file will always be 1 stereo mix, which is not so practical.

That's why I think that digital mixing is the only solution. All inputs can be recorded as individual tracks, which will give much more flexibility. With analog mixing, something like that would be only possible with very large and expensive console and a multi-track recorder.

Edirol M-16dx - I think it does what I need, and the price is very reasonable too.
It doesn't have 100mm faders, but it's smaller that way, and for home recording, you could always buy something like Behringer BCF2000 and have motorized faders.

It can also work as a standalone "analog" mixer, so I think it will do for live gigs also.
Another big advantage: the "patchbay" is separated from the mixing console, so you can hide it somewhere and those annoying cables won't get in your way.
Additional effects are always welcome, of course.

Any other recommendations?

- Vegetta, what does the scouter say about his synthesizer?
- It's jay-pi eight thousaaaaaaaaaaaand!!!
- What!? EIGHT THOUSEND!?!?!?

If you hear the 50 Hz speaker buzz, and start to admire how analog, fat and warm it sounds, it's about time you find yourself a girl and get laid...

わたしは がくしです

Last edited by -=AnatomiC=-; 06-24-2008 at 03:17 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Grey Loki Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=AnatomiC=-
It's kinda really hard for me.
I need a mixer that would be great for recording AND for live mixing of my rig. Because I'm starting to work with PC recording more and more.

First I was interested in something analog, like Mackie VLZ, but I think it would not be so great for recording.
Because you have limited outputs and a PC has limited analog inputs. So the resulting file will always be 1 stereo mix, which is not so practical.
Mixers have had more than their stereo outputs for decades - the large format consoles have a large number of buses (usually 24 or 48 extra outputs) that you can route your recorded channels though.

There are some mid-level desks that also have this feature; a good example would be the Mackie Analogue 8Bus - http://analog-mixer.mackie.en.audiof...es_16_8_2.html

Using that, you have ten simultaneous inputs to your recording setup, plus another four aux sends.

It's also a great live desk - i've mixed theatre shows on it, in addition to recording whole bands - usually, you won't record more than eight tracks at a time, if you're multitracking; recording a live band though, you would have to upgrade to a proper large-format console.

100mm faders on a recording console are a must - just take my word for it ;)

Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 AM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Yes, like I said analog can have multiple outputs, but only big and expensive ones. And Mackie 8 bus is no exception: it's like 6 times out of my budget and I would not know where to put it.

Besides: okay, let's say I sold my kidney for it - I have 8 outputs, but my PC has only 1 stereo input... bad luck! Even if you have 8 analog outs, you have to make sure that your PC has 8 analog inputs - so you will have to buy some kind of digital audio interface or a very expensive multi tracker or a very expensive PC audio card...

This would be very bad solution: I would spend a fortune on it (which I don't have) and it would be not as flexible and easy as just a 1 digital mixer. The result would be the same, if not less.
Why should you pay 6 times more, for less simple solution?

I'm not building a professional music studio - just a small home recording set up, with PC, small mixer, monitors, some racks and 2 keyboards.

10mm faders: like I said, I could get something like BCF2000, besides in my context I don't think it will be necessary...

I won't do "band recordings" - it's for mixing my keyboards/modules. For instance: I have a performance with 4 channels, I want them to be recorded separately and do the mixing on the PC. And I often have more than 4-6 tracks at the same time. I'm not saying that I will always need lot's of tracks, but If I'm gonna to pay for something, I want to be sure that it covers all my needs, and 1 track is just not good enough.

If you hear the 50 Hz speaker buzz, and start to admire how analog, fat and warm it sounds, it's about time you find yourself a girl and get laid...

わたしは がくしです

Last edited by -=AnatomiC=-; 06-24-2008 at 05:34 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Sparky93 Offline
Keyboard Master

If I have an own studio, for serious projects, I'd take Yamaha DM2000 V2. I'd take if I have the money, coz as you know, it's very expensive (about $19,900).

Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 PM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Now why would I need something like DM2000? Even if 1 would fall out of the sky, I still would not know where to put it, or how to use it And I don't even have enough kidneys to pay for it.

I just want something small and very functional, and I don't think that an analog mixer can be both at the same time. (prove me wrong)

Are there other affordable digital mixers I should consider?

わたしは がくしです

Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

An other solution would be: a multi channel audio interface.

But this has a downside: you can use it only with PC, so it will be useless for live mixing, and I would still have to buy some kind of an analog mixer.

わたしは がくしです

Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Sparky93 Offline
Keyboard Master

Quote:
Even if 1 would fall out of the sky, I still would not know where to put it, or how to use it And I don't even have enough kidneys to pay for it.
I agree. It's not a small mixer. And you need to master the mixer, because it's not like the analog mixer. And the price... WOW...

Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Grey Loki Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Quote:
An other solution would be: a multi channel audio interface.

But this has a downside: you can use it only with PC, so it will be useless for live mixing, and I would still have to buy some kind of an analog mixer.
Actually, MOTU's series of interfaces all include a digital mixer (levels only, no EQ or anything).

Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
-=AnatomiC=- Offline
Keyboard Wizard

Motu has good audio interfaces, but their cheapest interface is 460 euro, and like you said it does only basic mixing.

This digital edirol mixer = 400 euro and it does "everything".
And it can work as audio interface also.

わたしは がくしです