Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

Keyboard Upgrade Suggestions!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Biaxident Offline
Keyboard Apprentice

Default Keyboard Upgrade Suggestions!

Hey everyone!
So I'm mainly a guitarist, but I play a bit of keys as well. This year I'm planning on spending more time practicing the keys to get my technique and theory knowledge where I want it to be.

Anyway, the keyboard I have is a Yamaha, 76 non weighted keys. My parents got it for me when I was in middle school. It's fine to learn and practice on, but I think I'm long overdue for an upgrade. I want the full 88, weighted keys, with better sounds. I'm looking for good piano sounds, synths and leads, organs, strings. Basically the kind of sounds that Jordan/Neal Morse use a lot.

The problem is, I'm not much of a gear head (in keys, guitars, or drums, actually) so I'm kinda looking for outside opinions on what I should get. I'm in the process of saving up; I'm looking to buy something at least in the $1,000 range. I played a Roland (Juno I think?) and I kinda liked that, but what do you guys think? I really like Jordan's piano and lead sounds around the LTE/Scenes days. Does Kurzweil still make keyboards like he had? As much as I'd love a nice Korg Kronos or something, it's definitely out of my price range lol

Sorry, these might all be stupid questions, but I'm inexperienced when it comes to gear.
Thanks so much!
Ken
JR: ...right at the audition?