Notes on a Dream
Now Available
The Road Home
Now Available

Go Back   Jordan Rudess' Community Forums > Online Keyboard Community > Gear Talk
User Name
Password

CME Z KEYS Controllers (Opinions)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Axe2Grind Offline
Keyboard Master

Default CME Z KEYS Controllers (Opinions)

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience with CME Z Keys controllers?
I'm looking to buy a controller to play virtual instruments and the most important aspect would be keyboard feel and a study build. This range looks like it fits the bill but very wary of CME and the mixed responses I've read about their products.

So if anybody has one of these controllers, I'd love to hear about your experiences and if these are good controllers. I like the fact they do a 76 key model and are pretty compact.

Thoughts!.

Many thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
sparkey Offline
Keyboard Initiate

I personally have wanted to love them for ages

But every time i look into them, the build quality, and support, and drivers seem to be pathetic.

I think it's a safest bet to just stay well away from them.

I don't know why it's so hard to get a well made 88 key controller, there is such a market for one, but everyone is making second grade controllers.

studiologic is an alright alternative, bit expensive though.
I got one second hand recently, It's hardly perfect but no complaining for the money I spent. I wouldn't buy one new though.
Silly fatar.

Second hand digital piano's are your best bet for getting a good key bed for cheap. + they have inbuilt sounds when you don't want to plug in the computer for practise one day.

(just take the midi out into an usb adapter or a audio interface and your set)

Numa nano at home, and a Behringer 61 on the road

Last edited by sparkey; 02-06-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
sparkey Offline
Keyboard Initiate

That said.

Being the Z controller is so stripped down

If it's just plug in and play and doesn't need any kinda odd drivers

Then you may of jumped most of the problems with CME,

Edit: http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/live-88

Lol. This keyboard doesn't seem like all together good news

Numa nano at home, and a Behringer 61 on the road

Last edited by sparkey; 02-06-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
SoulFire Offline
Keyboard Master

I've heard good things about the CME controllers, the only thing that's been putting me off getting one is the price.

For that much money, buying a controller isn't even worth it. You may as well save a little bit more and go with a second hand PC3X or similar, that way you're getting an older model really nice synth, as well as an 88 key controller.

Soft synths. Lots of soft synths :P

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Axe2Grind Offline
Keyboard Master

Many thanks guys for your replies and thoughts. I'm still on the fence with the Z Key 76 Controller. Its advertised as having a quality keyboard action with metal casing. The thing I've hated about a lot of the USB controllers, is the plastic'ness of them and substandard action. Saying that, I am used to any action. I'm playing my kids 61 note Yamaha PSR keyboard at the moment which is seriously bad but I just have to make do LoL.

The Z key 76 also appeals as it does not have all these sliders and knobs that I simply would not use. Pitch bend & modulation as well as volume control and sustain is about as much as I would need and this keyboard offers that. My concern is buying one of these and having build quality issues and operation issues. I've read one review from the UK (where I am from) which was a very positive one as far as build quality and keyboard action is concerned and overall opinion.

I agree with the lack of availiability of quality controllers. In this day and age of virtual instruments I would have though the big gun keyboard manufacturers such as roland, yamaha and korg would go all out to make a high quality controller range that has proper metal casing, keyboard action, controllers and connectivites. I would spend a decent amount of money on a quality controller as for me, the age of hardware synths is over, I don't see the point in them other than live use, but hey that's just my opinion.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM
motorhead9999 Offline
Keyboard Initiate

The akai mpk line has always interested me personally, but again, it has a lot of control surfaces that you said you don't want/need.

I think the problem with controllers now is that any controller in a larger than 61 key size is going to start approaching the $1000 mark, which in a business sense is a very large hurdle to cross. By that point, you're starting to get Soulfire's idea of just getting a used 76/88 note synth at a relatively comparable price to get the controller AND the synth engine. I just sold my PC3 for 1300 I think, so that should give you an idea.