PDA

View Full Version : Decent Inexpensive speakers for a computer's speaker out

John
05-03-2004, 12:02 PM
I saw the other thread regarding practice amps. This one is kind of related. So I'll state my question first and then comment on the other thread.

[My Question]
Is there a set of speakers, that I can hook up to the speaker out on the back of my computer, for less than $100 USD that sound decent?

[Comments on the other similar thread]
I'm using Mackie SRM450s for gigs. Currently I'm using it in my small home office/studio also. I'd like to move them (currently only have one; working on the second one) to my garage and only use them for giging. I'd like to use nice headphones or just play out of my computer speakers when at home practicing.

It seems like most of the music stuff on ebay is used, but you can buy new stuff on ebay. If you did a search for a K2600 or K2661, I'm fairly certain that you'd find at least one store selling brand new boards.

Spacehog
05-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I dunno exact US pricings, but as far as computer speakers go, you could do a lot more wrong than to go for some Altec Lansing speakers... steer clear of the ones clearly listed as "gamer" speakers though as the bass will be distorted and horrid... they do make some nice music speakers though :)

Martin

Tigerfolly
05-03-2004, 05:41 PM
I saw the other thread regarding practice amps. This one is kind of related. So I'll state my question first and then comment on the other thread.

[My Question]
Is there a set of speakers, that I can hook up to the speaker out on the back of my computer, for less than $100 USD that sound decent?

Creative Labs used to release speaker sets designed by Cambridge Sound Works. I heard a 2.1 (2 satellite, one subwoofer) set and picked up one for myself that absolute sounds awesome in smaller rooms with carpet (I say with carpet, because I don't know if the sound is different on hardwood floors). Later I picked up a 4.1 set (4 satellite, 1 subwoofer) that sounds just as good. That 4.1 set was $100, on sale a couple years ago. I tested my computer running through my Roland DS90A digital monitors, and the Cambridge speakers actually sounded better (without EQ). I don't know what they've got now, but those were great for cheap.

Rexx
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
John wrote: It seems like most of the music stuff on ebay is used, but you can buy new stuff on ebay. If you did a search for a K2600 or K2661, I'm fairly certain that you'd find at least one store selling brand new boards.

Be aware of sellers that have 0 history, if you're buying a new or used K2600 that is a lot of money. Personally I would only buy from someone who has built a transaction history and no negative feedback.

I've been watching for some Mackie SRM450s, they must be good because I never see them for sale used locally.

John
05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I wish I could just bite-the-bullet and buy some nice monitors for about $300 or so, but I'll probably buy a 2.1 set (sub & two speakers) from Musicians Friend or Sweetwater for about $50-$75 in about month.

Thanks for the replys, John.

AFKAR
05-09-2004, 12:32 AM
theres a brand called warfedale pro, they make everthing from active / passive PA speakers to computer speakers / monitors.....they are very reasonably priced....not sure of the dollar conversion

John
05-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out before making a purchase decission.

Thanks again, John.

The Universe
05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
The Altec Lansing ATP3 set is awesome. Not really loud, but loud enough...and they sound phenomenal. I use them on my TV because they sound a million times better than the built-ins in my 1996 Trinitron. Really warm, with a clear high-end, and no mid-rangey-hum from the overtones on sub frequencies.