PDA

View Full Version : Favorite recorded keyboard solos

Mantarkus
06-15-2006, 01:17 AM
In no particular order

- Neal Morse "All is Vanity" synth solo from Spocks Beard "Snow" album, the same theme is performed on piano on "Love beyond words" on the same album. Amazing.

- Jordan Rudess, "Home" synth solo.

- Pat Moraz with YES on the song "To be over" from the "Relayer" album. A very simple solo but very expresive.

- Keith Emerson in Karn Evil 9 1st impression Pt 2 Hammond solo. I consider this my all time favorite keyboard solo.

If you havent already check them out and give me your recomendations.

David C.

Bastardo Demono
06-15-2006, 04:48 AM
some of my favorites:

"the cage" opening solo by sonata arctica, kicks the song off so well with a lot of energy

"kindred spirits" rudess solo, its so well written with a lot of emotion, one of my favs

"clash on the big bridge" the keyboard solo in the middle as performed by the black mages, it has such a groovy vibes I can't believe its played by an asian dude (no offense!)

"from the beginning" elp, the keyboard solo at the end is so simple a dog can play it but it fits so perfectly, I really couldn;t think of a better solo for that spot

"take the time" kevin moore's solo I can't really get more descriptive than that it rocks! I think it shows kev "hidden" chops off well, but tastefully

"metamorphosis" played by by andre andersen of royal hunt, a very classically styled piano solo that comes at the perfect time in the concept album and is very beautiful and the perfect gap between two songs and that point of the story

some more later

Asho
06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Im missing quite a few i know but here goes:

Lazy and Highway Star - Deep Purple

Hoedown and Pictures at an Exhibition - ELP

Streams Of Consciousness - DT

Paradigm Shift and Universal Mind - LTE

Of Sin And Shadows - Symphony X

yeh.... i know theres a few more but i cant remember:tongue:

Analogkid
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Cinema show, Slumber for the sleepers/ In the quiet earth - Tony Banks on his little ARP pro soloist- this cat is so under rated I just love his work!!

Jane Seymour/ Anne Boleyn, Parallels- Rick is the master of the minimoog on the fly and his pipeorgan work is off the hook cool ( see you friday night Rick!!!)

Octivarium-moog break, Jordan nails the retro solo that would make Wakeman grin from ear to ear I think (Sorry I cant see you Friday night Jordan-see above)

Metropolis PT1 Kevmo and JP going lick for lick is cool

Lazy- The song that made me want to play a hammond organ instead of a bass guitar!!!!

Toccta/fugue in Dm- Keith tears it up on this one!! Go Emo

Staccato
06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
The first time I heard the Highway Star solo from Purple´s livekonsert in Japan, I was just so impressed.. that solo was the beginning for me trying to learn how to solo.

What four solo by Jordan is also absolutely wonderful.. and then the other solos you mention guys.

mlunapiena01
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
The one that always comes to mind - Dream Theater: Blind Faith, the piano solo... very, very beautiful (was my first DT song actually)

Root_of_it_all
06-15-2006, 01:46 PM
The Home synth solo, and this dying soul synth solo!!

aibohphobia
06-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I think it's awesome that most of my favorites have been named already!

Home, All is Vanity, Kindred Spirits, Karn Evil 9, Take the Time

A couple of others

DT: Honor Thy Father
Only a Matter of Time (outtro before repeated notes)

Sonata Arctica: Victoria's Secret

Stratovarius: Legions

stealth
06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
The Sherinian solo from Burning My Soul blows my mind every time I hear it.. the live ver off the FII tour (on a couple of the "Official Bootlegs") is probably my favorite keys solo of all time..

Others:
DT - Only a Matter of Time Outro (Moore)
DT - Under a Glass Moon Oberheim solo from the Awake tour (Sherinian)
DT - To Live Forever Live Outro from the FII Tour (Sherinian)
DT - Blind Faith (Rudess)
DT - Light Fuse and Get Away live ver (Rudess)
Symphony X - Awakenings (Pinella)
ELP - Toccata (Emerson)
Mullmuzzler - Guardian Angel (Guillory)

I could probably ramble off 50 more but I'll stop there.. I'm not counting Planet X, LTE, or the Rudess/Sherinian solo stuff by the way ;).

dsadsa
06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WbWYvpNG2o&search=The%20cage%20sonata%20arctica

sonata arctica the Cage intro and solo are great.

Awake
06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I'd have to think long and hard for an exhaustive list, but on the fly, I'd submit that the solo in Pamela by Toto is spectacular.

Grey Loki
06-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I must say I rather like the synth solos on Ayreon's 'The Human Equation' album, especially those from Day Four and Day Twelve.

Hmm...What else...

The 'All is Vanity' synth solo, definately, as well as Ryo Okumoto's live solo from CD2 of Snow. The opening riff in the Overture from the same album. Hmm. Also, the piano solo in Love Beyond Words. Pretty much any Spock's Beard stuff, really. :P

A few JR solos, but not as many as you would think - my tastes have shifted from 'technically impressive' to 'musically astounding'.

lighthouse
06-20-2006, 12:48 AM
My all time favorites:

Kevin Moore ending solo for Learning to live, very nostalgic for me, melodic well constructed

Flavio Premoli (PFM) moog solo, actually it is a riff for the song "Impressioni di Settembre"

Juan Pablo

whitelightening
06-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Matt Guillory's solo on CRUCIFY from James LaBrie's Elements of Persuasion album. That solo completely f***ing rocks my face off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mental Ray
06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Since I never took a look in other prog liek bands, here's my list:

-Biaxident (yeah, yeah, not keyboards at all, but that detuning on the piano solo is pretty neat and creative.)
-Acid Rain
-Octavarium
-Metropolis Pt. 1
-Overture 1928
-Home
-Three Minute Warning
-The Stretch
-Universal Mind

well ,this is only the ones that I remeber for now, XD

Gustavo
06-22-2006, 10:08 PM
hey mental ray i'll say that too i just want to add:

dance of eternity -DT
State of Grace- JR and John Petrucci
Mad March- Mike portnoy ( i dunno if the intro is really synth)
JR solo from Live scenes from new york