PDA

View Full Version : Need an honest opinion.

jacksmash
02-06-2004, 10:38 AM
If I were to get a Kurzweil PC2X or PC1X and then save up for a rack, would I regret it later? Would the PC2X or PC1X have enough great sounds to keep me satisfied for awhile?

I just want great sounds with an 88 key-controller (or workstation), but I don't think I can afford the Triton etc.

What do you think??

Luca_Capozzi
02-06-2004, 11:07 AM
K2x00R+MC2000 (or A90)

imho..

see ya

jacksmash
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
thanks for your honest opinion. And no offense or anything, but that didn't really answer my question.

Luca_Capozzi
02-06-2004, 11:42 AM
as far as I know, pc*x series doesn't have VAST engine inside.. only some pcm sounds. You'll get very limited in timbric possibilities if it's so.

A K2*00R rack can be bought for relative few bucks on ebay. I've bought mine (K2500R) for 1200. An Oberheim MC2000 88 keys costs around 800.. 2000 at total. I dunno prices of PC*X or Triton actually. Make a comparison and then your choise :)

see ya

merijn
02-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Well, No VAST in there, but a powerfull effects processor: oh yes! The Pc2X has some really profesional features! If you really require VAST technolgy, the k2600 will be the answer. But when you haven't got THAT much experience with a synth, a Pc2X or Pc1X will satisfy you fully!

Over The Edge
02-06-2004, 12:35 PM
If cost is a concern get the PC1X. I've heard the stock sounds.
They're really good. Nice keyboard response and makes for
a great gigging board. The price is right as well.

FL
www.franklucas.net

jacksmash
02-06-2004, 12:46 PM
is the pc1x flexible enough that it'll keep me happy? I've looked on their website, and a lot of the technical terms are over my head.

Scrap
02-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Normally I don't pay much attention to these sort of questions anymore, since they've been discussed time after time, but I've been keeping up with your posts and I've a few pieces of advice for you.

Learn the terminology and what specifications really mean. Professor Google can be really helpful with this, as can many of the forum members here. All you have to do is ask.
Though you've already mentioned what you want, you may want to re-examine your position and re-determine what your overall needs are. Do you want something with a collection of great onboard wave ROM-based presets, or do you want the flexibility of a fully programmable synthesizer, or a little bit of both (Triton/Karma+MOSS) worlds? Various keyboard categories are laid out and explained in the Gear Talk FAQ (Portable (Casio-style), Performance (PC1X, VR-760, etc), Workstation (Triton, Motif, K2600)). Also, keep in mind that the average 'lifespan' of a ROMpler (that is, a sample-playback synthesizer) is ~6 years. 'Lifespan' being the time it'll take for that keyboard's stock sound ROM to be considered dated. Sampling techniques and quality are always getting better with each iteration, but some technologies (analog synthesis for example) are relatively stable and never get 'outdated'.
Do not buy anything unless you've had a chance to try it out in a store. If it is physically impossible for you to get to a store, be sure to read up all of the reviews that you can get your hands on, listen to sound demos, check out forums dedicated to the specific keyboard that you are considering, and so on.

In terms of percieved flexibility of the PC1/2X, that's all in the eye of the beholder. Since you've mentioned just wanting a bunch of great presets, it'll fit within your requirements just nicely - just don't expect the flexibility that you'd normally associate with a full blown workstation keyboard. It would not keep me happy, since I am into programming my own sounds and being able to affect various elements of it (ASDR envelopes on filter and amp sections, and so on), while using a robust effects engine to compliment them. For a gigging musician who needs a basic set of bread and butter presets, it's more than adequate, however.

jacksmash
02-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your respones Scrap. You are right, I do need to reevaluate and make sure I know what I really want.
I can say this: I'm not a gigging musician. I really just want to be able to record here at home on my own for now.
As for being able to create my own sounds (like you enjoy doing), it sounds interesting and I know I'll eventually be wanting to do that, but I probably just don't have the time right now.

I'd love to just get a PC*X, but I've heard people say they wished they didn't buy something cheaper and would rather have saved the money for something more expensive.

I'd love to try out of PC*X, but there are no stores in my area which carry them, and I can't find any demos on their site.

Could you possibly direct me to some samples?

I'll make a better effort to understand the terminology as well. Thanks for your patience.

Scrap
02-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I'd love to just get a PC*X, but I've heard people say they wished they didn't buy something cheaper and would rather have saved the money for something more expensive.

Kurzweil has a habit of overpricing their equipment. It is a well-known fact that isn't disputed.

I'd love to try out of PC*X, but there are no stores in my area which carry them, and I can't find any demos on their site.

Sound On Sound Magazine Online (http://www.soundonsound.com) may have some samples online. In lieu of that, I would recommend you go out and visit your nearest keyboard retailer and try out what they've got in stock (this goes back to saying that you should never buy something without trying it first, if possible).

As a higher-end (but similiarly priced) alternative to the PC2X, you may want to check out the Yamaha S90. It contains the same flexible synthesis engine and sound ROM as the standard Motif, but lacks an onboard sequencer and sampler. It's quite a respectable buy.