PDA

View Full Version : Rush Tom Sawyer synth sound..

Green Light
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm talkin about this sound:
http://www.rainycitynights.com/synth_stuff/ts-new.mp3

But the thing that I want only the sweep sound without the chord, in this case is an E..

I can use is as it is because the song starts with an E open chord but in some places in the song as in the part "The word is..." where the chords are B-A-G the sweep sound doesn't change with the chord, is the same sound with different chord...

Can someone separate this effect from the chord??? :roll:

Bastardo Demono
12-15-2003, 11:12 PM
:D

Enigma™
12-15-2003, 11:54 PM
aside from the notes, what keyboard are you using? If you had a Kurzweil, it be a snap, but you probably don't.
Fill us in, and we'll be better suited to help you out.

*it's not too far off from asking what tires you need to make your car go faster without telling us what car you have...*

Green Light
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
hmm ok, actually i'm not a keyboard player obviously hehe, the thing is that i'm preparing a tribute to rush playing some of their hits including toms sawyer and my keyboard player doesn't have this sound so he will have to sample it. But he says when playing the B-A-G part of this song, the effect's pitch gets sharped because we got this effect in E (the one on .mp3)

So, maybe what I'm trying to say is that I probably need the sweep effect without any chord... this is probably playing any key on the keyboard with no change on the pitch of the effect...

Bastardo Demono
12-16-2003, 08:42 PM
I still dont understand what you are asking (not that Im a pro that could help you anyway), but heres a suggestion: have your keyboard player reword his question for us. But here is something to consider: I am sure his synth has SOME kind of synth sweep type thing, and with a bit of tweeking im also sure he could get it sounding close enough to the original. why he has to use that sample I dont understand.

Green Light
12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Oops, sorry again, I'll ask him for advice on how to explain.. he wants that sound on the mp3 I posted before, he really doesn't have this sound on any of his keyboards (two Yamahas and one Roland - dunno the models).

Here goes again one last time... If he samples this sound, playing the E chord will sound as the one on the mp3 (fine 'til here), but if he goes up on the notes playing on a G the sweep effect gets sharper as if you alter the pitch only on the sweep effect...

But probably he's wrong thinking this, he doesn't have a sampler keyboard..

Enigma™
12-16-2003, 11:43 PM
I know what it is you're asking, but again, knowing the synth is of utmost importance. I know a number of ways to make this sound you're talking about. You just mean that he can sample the sound but the sweep doesn't sound the same on other keys *which you want it to obiously*
Filter sweeps aren't a super complex thing to tackle, but without knowing what keyboards he's using there's no way for us to help you...
There are some specific things about SOME keyboards that would make it easier then others, but generally speaking a filter sweep is just that. Some synths don't have very many filters *Alesis QS series have a lowpass...*
In any case, maybe you should get your keyboardist to come here and ask the question as we need more info ;)

mmvrs09
12-17-2003, 10:20 PM
I believe he used a minimoog...or at least that's what he used on a video i have.

Green Light
12-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, last try.. probably I was trying the difficult way..

Anyone here with an Oberheim maybe or another synth that have this exact same sound???

If so, can you record and upload this sound but on G, A and B chords?? It'd be great!! really need this sound urgently :?

Enigma™
12-19-2003, 11:29 PM
lol I didn't mean the one used in Tom Sawyer, but the one YOUR keyboardist uses. It's easier to program for something we know what we're programming for :)

Jerry
12-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Enigma is right. It depends on the synth.

I haven't listened closely to the song, but it's Geddy's mini with your standard downward filter sweep, on a 24db filter with medium high resonance. I think it was traditional mini-style pitching too. Maybe a pulse wave in the root and a saw a fifth above that. ... something like that. And maybe a third oscillator stacked an octave up.

Cheers,

Jerry

Enigma™
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
That's what I was going to say, although you may not need the 5'th for resonance, but Jerry's totally right about the 24db filter, which not all synths have. *this is why I asked about what synth your keyboardist uses, because there ARE work-arounds*

Caio
07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Any tips about the riff synth sound ?

Thanks !

synthguy
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I posted several tips on programming sounds on the musicplayer.com board. A guy named Andre was asking questions on how to get numerous synth sounds, most of them from Geddy's keyboards on Rush albums. Here's the link. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/014584.html

Dr_Raven
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM

But the thing that I want only the sweep sound without the chord, in this case is an E..

I can use is as it is because the song starts with an E open chord but in some places in the song as in the part "The word is..." where the chords are B-A-G the sweep sound doesn't change with the chord, is the same sound with different chord...

Hi to GL, and to anyone else who participated in this thread,

I found this thread while doing a Google search for my domain rainycitynights.com. I see that it has been over 4 years since you posted your question about the Tom Sawyer sound, but I can tell you that the synth I used to make the sound that you wanted to use was a Roland SH-32 (http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh32.shtml). It's a fantastic little analog modelling synth for creating older analog synth sounds. If you see one on eBay BUY IT! It only took about 15 minutes to tweak the synth's controls to recreate the sweep "Growl" sound. I then sampled the E note with my Roland S-760 sampler so I could trigger the sound with my feet on my Korg MPK MIDI Pedals when my band played the song. I did not sample each of the 4 notes individually. I only sampled the E. The other 3 notes have never sounded off pitch to me when they are played but the higher the note the faster the sample will playback. I notice this very slight speed issue only when I play the sounds by themselves. When the band plays you don't notice the speed difference at all, they all sound great! At the bottom of this post is a web document that contains links to the original E sample as well as the other notes, which again were not sampled separately because frankly I was just too lazy and I thought the other notes sounded great as they were anyway. You can download all of them if you like or just import the E note into your sampler and see what the other notes sound like to your ear. If the speed issue is really annoying I can try resampling each of the notes separately if you still have a need for them. Let me know. And to anyone else who might have a use for them, enjoy the sounds :)

BTW: Geddy did not use a MiniMoog to create this sound. He used an Oberheim OB-X. The MiniMoog is only used for the lead arpeggio just before the guitar solo and to reprise the arpeggio notes near the end of the song. The question of which synth Geddy used for this sound and how it might be recreated on your own synthesizer came up on alt.music.rush a while back, and with the help of another a.m.r regular we put together a webpage all about the Tom Sawyer Growl sound. I hope you find it helpful and informative :)

http://www.rainycitynights.com/band/rush_stuff/tomsawyergrowl.htm

Andy Skuse aka Dr_Raven

Analogkid
01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Tom Sawyer only has 3 basic sounds- some analog strings, the minimoog lead and a filter sweep from an OB-X. I think he just wants to know how to either A. sample the raw filter sweep so that it still sounds like the recording dispite the fact he sampled from the opening few seconds of th song or B. How to create a simple raw filter sweep on a synth.

Am I right??

jeebustrain
01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Tom Sawyer only has 3 basic sounds- some analog strings, the minimoog lead and a filter sweep from an OB-X. I think he just wants to know how to either A. sample the raw filter sweep so that it still sounds like the recording dispite the fact he sampled from the opening few seconds of th song or B. How to create a simple raw filter sweep on a synth.

Am I right??

sounds right. But then again, He hasn't posted here in more than 4 years, so chances are he's not eagerly awaiting this thread to be answered.

Dr_Raven
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,

I recently dumped the sysex patch data from my Roland SH-32 to a .MID file if anyone wants it for their SH-32. The file and detailed instructions on how to use it can be found here:

http://www.rainycitynights.com/band/rush_stuff/tomsawyergrowl.htm

Dr Raven

Oberheim Rules
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Yes, there is something you can do.
I recommend the OP-X PRO II (Oberheim vst).
http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/products.html

It will give you the intro sweep with the ''E'' and with the filters, you can cut out the ''root'' note for the "raw" sweep.
If you listen closely, there are "NO" notes on the subsequent sweeps as others suggest.:eek:
NOTE:
The other sweeps you hear are "raw" sweeps. The notes you hear during the later sweeps are NOT part of the sweep as they (the sweeps) are played intermittently through-out the song.
If they were part of the later sweeps, then all you'd hear are sweeps during the chorus...This is not the case.
If you're not sure? Listen and count the sweeps and note where they go during the song..:biggrin:

How I do it:
I use the 1st sweep with the note ''E'' to get the EXACT sound.
I sample that sweep to my Triton.
Next, I use filters (extremely easy to do on the OP-X PRO II) and PRESTO:tongue:
I have the "raw" high frequency sweep with out the root note.
I highly recommend you get the OP-X PRO II..
It is very accurate, cheap and easy to carry around (on your Laptop).

I hope this helps.....

Gustavo
02-21-2011, 10:44 PM
erm... talk about resurection. That post you're quoting is about 7 years old... I think he eventually figured it out.

PinkFloydDudi
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
erm... talk about resurection. That post you're quoting is about 7 years old... I think he eventually figured it out.

lol, or gave up!

jarrubes
10-20-2011, 02:24 AM
rush sampled Tangerine Dream for that synth sound

the song is called "Beach Scene" and is on the soundtrack to the movie Thief

its at about 1:37. check it out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQLbWS4CQo

Mick Larouche
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
rush sampled Tangerine Dream for that synth sound

the song is called "Beach Scene" and is on the soundtrack to the movie Thief

its at about 1:37. check it out on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQLbWS4CQo

Err Moving Pictures was released and recorded before the release of the movie, I think it's Tangerine Dream that sampled Tom Saywer

awaken77
10-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Err Moving Pictures was released and recorded before the release of the movie, I think it's Tangerine Dream that sampled Tom Saywer

i don't get the point, why it needs to be sampled? sweep filter is pretty basic feature of most analog or VA synths