PDA

View Full Version : "Hiccups" when changing patches...

Sol
09-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok. I know the MOTIF absolutely BLOWS when it comes to smooth transitions from one patch to another... which is another reason that seeing Jordan's smooth PC (program change) on some of the videos is almost disturbing for me... are there any other synths that have the same problem as the Motif? I mean, with the changing of effects and everything..? I'm hoping the ES will solve this (and many other) problems that the board has.

Over The Edge
09-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Keyboards other than Kurzweil pretty much have this problem. The Motif ES still does not switch sounds in a manner you would like. You can get into song mode, go into mix mode and arrange your voices from trk. 1-16 and switch sounds by hand (not footswitch) without abrupt interruption. However, you cannot do this in Performance mode which is similar to Kurzweil K2xx's Setup mode. The ES hassome of the best sounds of any synth out there right nowg and I see this as its only stumbling block.

FL
www.franklucas.net

OrpheusTheBard
09-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Yeah, i have the same problem with my XV-88 :( Using performance mode and muting/unmuting tracks does help though.

Orpheus

Taurus
09-21-2003, 08:35 AM
As far as i know all Roland synths got that same problem, and I have it on my Yamaha as well. Its usually the cause of the different effectprocessor both patches use. If you use a patch with the same insertion effects but still different wave-forms then you wont have this problem..
I'd just buy a Kurz to get rid of it :D

Over The Edge
09-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah,

Go get that synth you want and get a Kurz too! Problem solved. :lol:

FL
www.franklucas.net

Spacehog
09-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Neither of my E-MU's exhibit this kind of problem at all (so I'd guess the same is true for the whole Proteus 2000 line). I get smooth transitions from sound to sound, either by foot pedal or by hand... notes still held retain the previous sound until released, and effects seem to work fine with the sounds :)

It's just poor programming on the manufacturer's part... I used to have similar problems with my Digitech and Zoom guitar effects units, used to drive me insane. That's why I'm all analogue for guitar sounds now... more pedals and leads, more hassle, but continuous music not stutterings :)

Martin

Nolan
09-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Yep, only kurzweil does...

I know Jordan has thew same effects applied to the setups he changes with his pedal. Else you would have glitches too

Coen

Over The Edge
09-21-2003, 03:22 PM
The Yamaha Motif ES allows you smooth patch changes only in Song/Mix mode and you can only use single voices at best and must use a free hand to change from track to track, voice to voice. So my answer is...

get two of 'em. :P

FL
www.franklucas.net

Shreddy
09-23-2003, 08:58 AM
I never sustain the tones when changing them for this reason.

Over The Edge
09-24-2003, 02:02 PM
If the Motif ES didn't 'hiccup' in Performance mode I would have to concede it as the best out there. Unfortunately... :(

FL
www.franklucas.net

Sol
09-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, with my Mo, I can easily use the Song/Mix modes to make a pretty good sounding transition, and even sustain the previous voice. And you can use more than one voice at once... it just requires some channel "tweaking." You assign the channel output of the second voice to the same output as the first one and select the same track number as the channel number of the first one, and you have two voices at one. You can play all 16 tracks at once like that, but I wouldn't recommend it... if each voice uses 4 waveforms, you might be able to play one note at a time with little sound loss :P

Mike Martin
09-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Using Master Mode on the Motif (ES) is the way to go. Its similar to Quick Access on a K2600 except that in addition to Voices (Programs) and Performances (Setups) you can call up Mixes (which are groups of 16 voices that can also contain patterns or songs). The Mixes themsevles can contain Performances (easily imported) and allow you to switch between any of the 16 sounds without any drop out or transition.

So for example you could have a Master list that had -
1. Piano (from voice mode)
2. Organ / Brass split (a Performance)
3. Mix with 16 sounds setup for a complex song
4. Lead (from voice mode)
5.....etc.
And you can just use the Footswitch to scroll through these configurations.

Sol
09-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Wow.. could I get a more in depth description of how to set this up in Master Mode? I knew you could set up voices and performances together, and I used it like that for a while, but the mixing part is new to me. *Curious*

JackJens
09-25-2003, 02:22 AM
I think that KURZ is the only one that works great on it !!!!

I use my footswitch for every song !!!!

It's a great stuff !!!!

Mike Martin
09-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Wow.. could I get a more in depth description of how to set this up in Master Mode? I knew you could set up voices and performances together, and I used it like that for a while, but the mixing part is new to me. *Curious*

There is a tutorial on this and other subjects located here -
http://www.motifator.com/es/btm/btmes_index.php

Nolan
09-25-2003, 08:45 AM
mm, only 16 sounds to switch between.

Enough for all of us, but I don't think Jordan would manage, having so little :) sounds per song

Coen

Sol
09-25-2003, 09:53 AM
It depends on which mode you use... with Song mode, you just have those 16, but you can just go to the next song (a half second process) and have a whole other 16 to work with. I think you have up to either 64 or 128 songs loaded at once, so just multiply that by sixteen, and that's the number of patches you have without having to load a new "All Song" file.

Over The Edge
09-25-2003, 09:59 PM
That's true Sol. With 64 songs It quickly amounts to 1024 Voices in Mix mode. Two things though. You have to deal with that half second delay in going from song to song AND you MUST switch between each of those 16 sounds WITH A FREE HAND! No footswitch changes possible. If you happen to be Jordan, I don't think this would be ideal. But then again, how many of us perform music which can match his kind of technical/musical demands.

I must state, though, that the Motif ES simply has some of the best on board sounds available on any synth. Smooth, punchy and warm all at the same time. Tons of new, fresh sounds which are totally tweakable, new arps. and improved polyphony and processor speed. I'm in love with this instrument!

FL
www.franklucas.net

Sol
09-25-2003, 11:41 PM
I don't have too much of a problem with switching voices with song mode.. I usually have a free hand when I need to. The problem only arises in DT songs :) Especially from the lead patch to the synth patch during the thirds section of Fatal Tragedy... it's too immediate to do right...

Over The Edge
09-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I know. Try doing changing sounds in a song like "Blind Faith" you know, during where the strings come in in the left hand after the solo piano part and then the choir sounds immediately kick in.

I"m sorry but no can do. No footswitch capability in mix mode and no free hand. The sounds though are AWESOME. Check out the megas, pianos and brass. Even the solo violins are improved.

FL
www.franklucas.net